1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I uninstall Windows 8 from my Gateway NE56R41u laptop and install windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Jts013094, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jts013094

Jts013094 Thread Starter

Hi, My step dad is very old-school when it comes to computers, he has gotten the hang of using Windows XP pretty well but refuses to conform to any of the newer windows operating systems. He recently purchased a Gateway NE56R41u Laptop running Windows 8 Home, and he absolutely hates it. So I recommended that he go online and purchase a copy of the Windows XP operating system and I would just install it on his laptop for him. Well he purchased a brand new copy of Windows XP, however when I attempted to install it I keep receiving an error message stating that the program has compatibility issues. I followed the prompts on my screen and ran the Program compatibility Assistant which attempted running the program in Administrator mode but I continue to receive the same compatibility message when I try to install it. I understand that Windows XP pretty much became obsolete after they released windows 7 and that they no longer provide updates or even technical support for it, I tried explaining this to my step dad and recommended that he upgrade to at least windows Vista or Windows 7 but he is stupborn and refuses to use anything other than Windows XP. So I need to know if there is any way that I can get his laptop to install and run Windows XP.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does Gateway provide XP drivers (chipset, networking, graphics, sound, etc., etc.)? If not the only way you'll run XP on that machine is in a virtual machine (e.g., VirtualBox or VMWare Player) under Windows 8/8.1.

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Would your stepdad be happy using something like Classic Shell, which is free and makes Win 8 look a lot more like previous Windows versions? There are other such programs as well, some free and others for a nominal cost. I suspect you will be unable to ever install XP on his new computer, except in a virtual machine as TerryNet noted.

Win 8 really is a much better operating system than XP. I didn't care much for it at first either, but now I wouldn't ever go back. Has the laptop been updated to Win 8.1? If not, if should be. That will at least restore the Start Menu - I personally never use the "charms" or touch-screen features.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice