How do I unlock my CPU multiplier?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
J

jskrakowski

Guys...how do I unlock my multiplier? on my Pentium 4? This might sound like a stupid question, but I seriously don't know how to.

it's locked at 18x (18x111 = 1997Mhz (2Ghz))

does a lower multiplier and an increased front side bus raise your performance?

If the CPU frequency is locked there isn nothing external you can do to it with FSB or multiplier settings. There are modifications that can be physically made to some CPU's to unlock them but if you mess it up you have a worthless piece of silicaon.

J

jskrakowski

really? i thought you could change it to like 120Mhz FSB and make a mutiplier of 17 and go to 2040Mhz...........hmmmm....ok

concerning this, why do manufacturers leave clock settings unlocked on some cpus? my xp2600+ is unlocked. my 733mhz p3 is locked. why?

Most of the newer boards these days are jumperless and they just autodetect the cpu speed and intentionally lock u out of changing the speeds because they dont want idiots frying their processors because of overclocking. They figure that most people are to dumb to set these options on their own so they do it for you. Most old boards had jumpers or dip switches on them that would allow you to change the multiplyer manually. Now days its not as easy and like someone explained there are ways but unless you really know what you're doing you're risky frying your cpu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online