1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i update Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xboxcutie, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xboxcutie

xboxcutie Thread Starter

My old computer has IE 6 installed on it and the "Windows Update" button isn't working it just says cannot display web page.

I tried just downloading IE 7 and 8 manually but it either says service pack needed or when i download the service pack 1 it says "Setup has detected that the version of the service pack installed on your system is lower that what is necessary to apply this hotfix, at minimum you must have service pack 1 installed."
    You see it says this as im downloading service pack 1 so i dont understand..
    Please help me!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your system is a long way out of date, service packs 1 and 2 are no longer supported by Microsoft, you should be on service pack 3 and then you can update to IE 8.

The error message you are getting suggests that you are not downloading service pack 1 but something else.

This link will provide further links to get the service packs you require.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
    Start with SP1 and work your way up.

In future make sure you keep Windows Update turned on. If you have further problems installing the service packs then one of the possible causes would be an infection so I would then suggest a visit to the Malware forum to get the PC checked or start from scratch and format and reinstall Windows.

The service packs and all related security updates keep your system protected when on-line so without them your system is vulnerable. Have you got any Anti Virus installed?

3. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to get Windows XP upgraded to SP3 and then install the post-SP3 high priority updates before you upgrade Internet Explorer.

Why is that computer so out of date?

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

--------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice