1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I update my external backup without rewritting the whole file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hulk0202, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hulk0202

hulk0202 Thread Starter

I want to update my external hard drive that I keep music and photos on, but I don't know how to do it with completly rewritting the file. There has to be a way to update it, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for any help you can give. I'm running XP, and I have and External hard drive that runs through teh usb. Thanks.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Create a new folder on the drive . . back up to that

3. hulk0202

hulk0202 Thread Starter

Then I'll just have two huge files, one with a few more recently acquired file. I have a large file that contains many folders. The contents of these folders change, and I was wondering if there was a way that I could get the computer to just make the changes, and not have to rewrite the whole thing. Maybe what I'm asking isn't possible, I don't know.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What program did you use to back up the files?

5. hulk0202

hulk0202 Thread Starter

I just copied the file onto the hard drive. Click and drag kind of thing.

6. hulk0202

hulk0202 Thread Starter

Anything?

7. stantley

stantley

Get Cobian Backup and do a complete backup. Then the next time you want to do a backup you can have it just backup the files that have changed which will save a lot of time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice