1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I update this driver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MsWrite, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MsWrite

MsWrite Thread Starter

Hello,

I posted this message last week but problem is not solved. I wonder if anyone here can help me?

My PC (Windows XP Home Edition) often shuts down without notice and then restarts. Microsoft identified the problem as the WebSTAR Cable Modem Driver, created by Scientific Atlanta, which needs to be updated.

I know where to obtain the update for downloading. The update driver is in a zipped folder of 159 KB and my previous driver is 15.5 KB.

My question is: How do I do this?

My original WebSTAR Cable Modem Driver apparently is in my windows operating folder c:\windows\system32\drivers which has hundreds of files!

If I save the zipped download in that directory folder, will it automatically update the previous version of WebSTAR? I am reluctant to go in there, as these are all my operating files.

Any help is much appreciated.

MsWrite - Montreal

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Okay,

First unzip the driver files to a directory on your desktop, call it drivers
    Click Start - Control Panel - System
    When the system window comes up click Hardware
    Now Click on Device Manager

Okay, you will see a list of computer parts. Look for modem
    Press the + sign next to modem and you should now see your modem name
    Right-Click on it and click "update Driveer"
    A new window pops up, in the first say "not at this time"
    In the next window select "I will select from a specific location"
    In the next window select "include this location for search"
    Click browse and select the fodler we made earlier on the desktop "drivers"
    Now click next, it will find your drivers and update your modem

Hope this helps

3. rugrat

rugrat

Here is the website for the drivers,
    http://www.sciatl.com/products/consumers/webstar_softwaredownloads.htm
    I would download the entire installation cd and create a file on my C: drive to unzip it to. Call it Cable or anything you can remember. The install process is also on this web page as an acrobat file. Read through it carefully before proceding. When you get to the point of "install from a disk or specific location" that is when you will need to remember what file you unzipped the install disk to. If you do not have acrobat reader to view the install help file, the link is also on the above web page.

Good Luck

4. MsWrite

MsWrite Thread Starter

Thanks, rebelmusic and rugrat! The instructions are very explicit. I will probably get someone to help me with this, as I don't want to wreck my system.

Thanks for your help!

MsWrite

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice