1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I update Win XP to SP2 w/o booting to it?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by robert123, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robert123

robert123 Thread Starter

I just got a new mainboard (Intel DG965WH), processor, and RAM, and installed these in my XP Pro computer. However, I get a PCI.sys error message when Windows is loading. I did some searching and it appears that there is a bug in XP which causes this that was fixed in SP2. I downloaded SP2 but I am not sure hot to install it since I cannot boot to the OS. Can I boot to another device and run the update on the HD, or do I have to create a slipsteamed CD (http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm) and reinstall XP over itself?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

WHat you need is the driver disk that came with the new motherboard for all of the special drivers like the PCI buss driver and others and start with the chipset driver first when you go to install these. But first you have to do a repair-install of Windows using the Windows with SP2 install disk.

When this is all done you should be all set.

3. robert123

robert123 Thread Starter

When you say "the Windows with SP2 install disk", do you mean the slipstreamed disc I referenced? I only have a disc of the original Windows XP.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download AutoStreamer and using the SP2 download and the original XP Install CD, you can generate an SP2 Install CD. It's very painless.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

This thread makes no sense...did you do a clean install of XP when you changed the motherboard or are you just booting up to another system OS still on hard drive?
    You should be able to install any version of XP and then boot up and run the SP2 cd afterwards.

6. robert123

robert123 Thread Starter

Oops, sorry if that was not clear. I did not install a new OS, I just plugged the hard drive in as is and tried to boot up.

I tried downloading Autostreamer to my laptop running Vista, but it would not run. Vista compatibility problem I guess. So I followed the directions in the link from my original post. Then I booted to this CD and repaired the XP on the hard drive. Works fine now.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ok that is a way to do it but bear in mind without a clean install, it really will never run exactly right though either, there will be bugs....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!