How do I use a headset on PC with hdmi graphics card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sugnA82plays

Angus
Hi, I have a gigabyte gt710 graphics card, that is connected through a hdmi to dvi cable to a dvi monitor. I want to use the audio and mic ports on the front of my case but when I plug a headset in nothing comes up on the "audio" tab in control panel and I cannot select my headset in volume mixer. Of course there is no audio coming out of my dvi monitor but it works in my hdmi tv. If anyone has any clue what I'm talking about, could you please explain what I have to do (any external links are accepted) to get my headset (plugged into the headphone jacks) to work. Thanks in advance. Angus...

Your graphics card should have no impact on the headset, you should be plugging your headset into the back of the pc where the usb ports usually are, there should be a set of coloured jacks, if your headset has 2 seperate leads, 1 for headphones and 1 for the mic. Plug the head phone one into the green one and the mic one into the pink one

sugnA82plays

Angus
Thanks for the quick reply, I have already tried that and made sure that they were in the right holes. The PC came up with no new devices other than the hdmi audio in the "sounds" tab. I know it should pop up with my headphones and microphone but it doesn't for some reason.

Triple6

Rob
You need to set the headset as the default playback devices under Sounds in the Control Panel. You do that on the Playback tab under Sounds and it may show as Speakers, right click on that and choose Set as Default Device if it doesn't already have the Green check mark. You may have also disabled the device in which case right click and make sure there are checkmarks next to Show Disabled Devices. You can also check Device Manager to make sure the sound card is showing there and has the correct drivers installed.

upload_2016-12-21_11-24-56.png

Also, you haven't told us the operating system version or what sound card or motherboard you are using, those tend to help a lot to know.

sugnA82plays

Angus
Hello, sorry its taken me so long to get back to the forum, my specs are:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3567 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (339 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 0AA8h
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
my headphone has an inbuilt microphone, there are to cables (one for headphones and one for mic) and when I plug both of them into the correct sockets in my pc this is all I can select:
audiodevies.PNG
(the "SAMSUNG4" is my tv when I have it plugged in through hdmi)
when I take out the graphics card and put a non hdmi card in all the audio including the inbuilt speaker on my case works fine. I can only select my headphones when the hdmi card is not in. if any of this helps, I would appreciate any advise on how to get my sound working! thanks, Angus...

Triple6

Rob
Can you check Device Manager and post a screenshot with the "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" section expanded?

What is the exact model of your HP computer?

Have you tried plugging in the headset into the rear audio ports?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts