1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i use the recovery console?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BumontheRun, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BumontheRun

BumontheRun Thread Starter

I want to know how to use the recovery console... Say i want to replace or fix the windows files, how would i do that?

My computer is not broken,yet... but it has been breaking a lot. The other day i got a message saying that the /windows/system32/config/system file was corrupt and to go to the recovery console to fix it... but how would i fix it from there?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The recovery console is a command line utility that allows you to start / stop services, format / create / delete partitions, copy files, etc. For a full list of what the console can do, go to start>help type in recovery console. It will list all of the commands and what they do.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In your case you would extract the file in question from your install cd and copy it to where it is on your computer. That is just one of many things that can be done with the recovery console.

4. Sequal7

Sequal7

As a rule you would restart windows, and set you BIOS if not already to boot from CDRom then A: then C:
    place your windows xp disk in the cd rom tray and restart your computer, when asked to boot from cd, press 1

Next press R for recovery
    then your windows again (1 or 2 etc.)

In recovery you would then execute commands, such as expand, ren, del, copy etc from the source files (those already in windows) For a lsit you can type help then hit enter

The files you extract (expand) are in the i386 folder on the disc.
    Example:

Type: cd d:
    then press enter (will show D:\> )
    type: cd i386
    the press enter (will show D:\>i386)
    then type: expand msconfig.EX_ c:\windows\system32 the file will be expanded and a report of successfully extracted file will show.

You can also verify files within windows
    With the windows disk in your cdrom drive
    press start, then run, then type in sfc/ scannow
    This will verify all windows files and reinstall those needed.

5. BumontheRun

Ok i just got this problem again...and i just installed windows today...i tried doin what u said squaul i type: 'expand msconfig.DL_ c:/windows:/system32' from the i386 folder on the cd.

It said the system cannot find the file or directory specified... C: is my system drive...so can anyone help me out plz? like tonight would be good...

THx

6. BumontheRun

before this happened a the rundl32.dll or somethin asked to connect to the internet...i let it...but i scanned it and there were no viruses on it or the hd... also it said there was new hardware(monitor) i think cause i hooked it up to my tv...and as it was searchin and installin the drivers the mouse and everything stopped...so i turned it off and when it came back on i got this...

i don't want to format...cause the last time i got this and formated using the windows cd after the format it said the disk was corrupt...and its not... i ran chkdsk and it said it didn't scan cause the drive looked fine...

7. BumontheRun

man i am pissed off...i have been having all sorts of problems with my new computer...that i built...it runs then has some sort of problem eventually... this is my 3rd hard drive that i got replaced from circuit city...the second was replaced because of this problem...

can anyone help...

also does anyone know how much best buy would charge to fix my comp? how long would it take? and would they charge if they couldn't fix it?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are having problems using the recovery console, why not do a repair install? You boot with the xp cd and when prompted choose install. Setup will detect your previous install and offer to repair it for you. Have it do so. Note you will have to reapply service packs, hot fixes, patches, etc. All data and apps will still be there.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Something like that would be time and materials. Most shop rates are around $65-75 per hour. I would not take anything to a best buy / compusa etc. I would go to a regular shop that builds / services computers. You are more apt to find someone who really understands what they are doing.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok we have gone from wanting to learn how to use the recovery console to “Having all sorts of problems” You need to be as accurate as possible when describing a problem. If you built this computer yourself, I would go back to basics. Check your memory with a downloadable tester; check the installation of the hsf, reseat memory, video card. If your memory checks out ok [and you have a good quality ps not one of those $25 units] remove everything from the case and carefully inspect the mb mounting. While it is out of the case inspect the installation of the hsf. Reinstall with just processor, one memory chip, one hd and one cdrom. Now boot with the xp cd and delete all partitions on the disk; create / format and install. Get your system running in a stable manner before installing anything else like sound card, raid card, extra hd, etc.

11. BumontheRun

lol...yeah i am having all sorts of problems but this is the main one...and their all software related, but i think this one can be related to the motherboard... anyways i think i have fixed it...its doin a system restore right now and i used the following articles to help me out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1026977704
    http://www.devhood.com/messages/message_view-2.aspx?thread_id=67703

Thanks anyways...i'll post back soon when its officially working...

Also about the repair install...i have a xp home upgrade disk i got a year ago and i don't think it lets me do the repair install...

12. BumontheRun

Ok its fixed...now i probably wont ever turn it off or restart unless i have to... just one question...

how can i back up whatever i need to fix this if it ever happens again? on one of those pages the people said they made backups each time they started normally...how could i do this?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can make a restore point any time you want; just go to system restore and it is the first option I believe [not on an xp box at the moment] The system will make one restore point per day. More if you install new drivers etc.

Anything of importance like data files, quicken files, etc and be backed up to a cdr. XP has built in burning software.

14. BumontheRun

In the thread one they said it could be cause by the motherboard. Do you guys think so and should i get mine replaced?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice