1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i use this Smart Media USB Reader

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hi!, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Ok, I got everything set up and the Red light is on. Now what do i do? How do I extact the pictures from the smartmedia USB Reader??

If i click on my computer, i can see the E drive (removable disk or something like that) i click on it and nothing? it gives a message it is not ready. Yes i have the smartmedia card in the USB Reader.

Even if i use my photoshop element program I can't aquire any images at all.. I looked in Programs and can't even find a Program call USB Reader so i can access it.

What do i do? help!! How do i extract images from the USB Reader! thank you!!

2. bowmar

bowmar

I am of the belief that you should only have to double click on the E: drive (Removable Disk) and it will list the contents of the drive (I.E Photos).
    Sounds like there is
    a) No pictures on the disk (Improbable)
    b) Smart Media Reader is Faulty (Good Chance)
    c) Driver Problem
    I have come across problems with smart media readers, generally under win '98 and not accessing the disk.

3. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

1. look for the removible hardware icon in the system tray (see attached image - top left of the title bar- It's a green arrow)). Then right-click it and choose "Safely Remove Hardware".
    2a. You should see a thing called "USB Mass Storage Device". If it's there, try hiting "Stop", pulling it out of your USB port and plugging it back in.
    2b. if it has a yellow question mark, hit propteries and hit re-instsall driver.

4. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

thanks guys for all your help!!

1) This is brand new so it shouldn't be corrupted already right I hope not!! I forgot what brand it is.. dny or something like that.

2) I am using windows 98 and the driver is loaded it... The Reader is Bright Red showing it is on. And i also tried it on windows ME which automatically installed the driver in.

3) There is pictures on the disk... oh yeah, or eles I would be like going nuts with losing those pics!! i double check.. yes.. there is pictures in it..

This is supposed to be easy right? Just install and then go to My Computer and then click on the E drive (removable drive) right?

I know it's installed in correctly because there was no E drive before...

what happen? Has this happen to anyone eles?

5. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

??? where is link i can't find it?

what is a system tray? where is it located? I'm very computer illerated.

6. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

ok, i narrow down the problem. The USB Reader is not defective because i just return for a new one. The driver is in there and updated..

ok, This USB Reader should be compatable with all types of smartmedia right???

well.. it looks like it is not reading the card. The card is ok, it has images in it..

I tried ScanDisk on the E drive and here what it says...

Scan disk cannot check this drive because there is no disk in it, it is not formatted, or a disk utlity has locked it, insert a valid disk in the drive or wait for the utility to finish..

Ok, does it has to be formatted? How do i unlock it?? please help I do appreciate it!! thanks!!!

7. biltong

biltong

Hi

Any outcome to this thread? I am experiencing exactly the same problem, and have no resolution at present.

HELP!

Biltong

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I recently picked up a Dazzle multi-format reader, and it required a firmware upgrade to read Lexar smartcards, perhaps you have a similar issue?

9. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Yeah! i solved it.. YOU know The makers SHOULD put in THIS in their "How to Use" instructions.

MAKE SURE THE CARD IS PLACE WITH THE GOLD COLOR SEAL DOWN!!! yep That's it!!! i put the card in upside down!!

the problem with US doing so is because We slide in the Memory Card with the GOLD coloring seal in First in our digital camera.. so we Tend to believe it goes in that way to In the Smartmedia Card reader!!

oh boy!!

10. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

I had the same problem with my Kodak card reader... it took me a while to discover I had the card in upside down

11. lankyman

lankyman

I'm having the same problem with my SmartMedia Card Reader, and the card is NOT in upside down! The paperwork that came with the pack says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how to use the reader AT ALL!

Someone help please!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/137081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice