1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I utilize a 160 gig hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewie1012, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

If I had a 160 gig hard drive would i need a third party partition software to break up the drive?
    Jerry

2. Moby

Moby

3. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

If it is the main drive in a pc though would I need a third party disk management tool? If it is the C drive in a new pc do I have to have other software or can I load windows on it and the partition it with XP. I am asking about a newly assembled system.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can partition / format it with xp. You will need sp1 or sp1a to "see" the full size of the drive; there is a 137 gig limit for xp pre sp1 and win2k pre sp3. The only option you will be given as to formatting is ntfs. If the disk is larger than 32 gig, xp setup will only format it as ntfs. <32 gig and you have the option of fat32.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

6. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA

I have a 160 gig Maxtor drive. I was planning on partitioning it with MAxblast. Is it OK to use with win98se?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice