1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I wipe a Harddrive clean ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drewwpb, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewwpb

drewwpb Thread Starter

I have a ATA 100 Maxtor HDD that I sold to my brother ,it has Win 98se and personal info on it. My question is : Is there a Dos command that would let me wipe the drive clean and Not partition it ? He does not know if he is going to put 98 or XP on the drive , all I want to do is wipe out all the data on the drive before I give it to him.....Thanks for any help....

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

you will have to apply F/Disk then format

Click
    Here

Savvy :)

3. drewwpb

drewwpb Thread Starter

I have used fdisk and format but was not sure because it talked about using Fat 32 for 95/98/Me and Fat 16 for NT....He has several different OS and he doesn't know which one he is going to use with this HDD....

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Just use FDISK to delete all the partitions. Don't create any new ones. Then give your brother the drive.

SavvyLady, you told drewwpd to format the drive. He/She would have to use FAT32 or FAT16. Those aren't compression modes. They're types of partitions.

If you would use a standard Win98 boot disk to FDISK (create one large partition) and format a drive, you would end up with a FAT32 partition.

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

For additional information about the FAT32 and FAT16 file systems, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base :
    http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...s/Q118/3/35.ASP

Savvy :(

I had my computer for a year before I changed it to fat32 & I did not f/disk & partition to do it

6. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You can change from FAT16 to FAT32 without running FDISK and formatting it. You're changing the type of partition. You can also change from FAT32 to NTFS without running FDISK and formatting it. That also is a change in partition type.

If you format a disk, however, you are establishing the FAT type on the disk, either FAT16 or FAT32.

7. hewee

hewee

With Norton SpeedDisk (defag)I can write 0 in all free space.
    I have Norton WipeInfo. too.
    "Norton WipeInfo removes all traces of selected files or folders from your hard drive. It can also wipe the free space on your hard disk, insuring that previously deleted information is not left on your hard disk.
    You can use the Fast Wipe, which writes all zeros or any other character you choose. Alternately, you can use the Government Wipe, which is a 7-pass procedure that conforms to the method specified in DoD document 5220-22-M, National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual.

Be certain before you use WipeInfo. You cannot unerase information after it has been wiped."

So what you are doing is writing over everything over and ever.

More info.
    "Norton WipeInfo has two choices for wiping.

Fast Wipe writes the value 0, or any other value you choose, to replace the data being wiped.
    Government Wipe is a 7-pass procedure that conforms to the Sanitization procedure specified in DoD document 5220-22-M, National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual.

The steps for a Government Wipe are as follows:

1 The data is overwritten with all 0s, and then overwritten by all 1s.
    2 The first step is repeated as many times as you like.
    3 Then a random value, or any other value you choose from 0 to 255, is written.
    4 The value written is verified to insure that it was written correctly.
    5 The entire process is repeated as many times as you like. "

Also a Peter Norton's book has a ton of info. and most is over my head but you can unformat a drive it says too.

So look here for other programs that delete.
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/...srch&qt=delete&cn=Business+&+Finance&ca=10000

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice