1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I ?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Allenv, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allenv

Allenv Thread Starter

I'm working on my nieces computer and it has lots of problems so I need internet access to fix it.She has internet access through people pc with dial up.Her operating system is win 98se.She also has a eithernet net card in it.
    I have cable modem that run off a router.Can I use my cable to run updates and fix her computer and switch it back to dial up when I return it?
    TIA,Allenv

2. pinntech

pinntech

Yes, you sure can.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you won't have to switch anything, just configure her computer thru the internet connect wizard as a lan, follow the leads of logon/password, etc and you're in business assuming the ethernet card has been setup with the right driver and shows up in device manager without the yellow exclamaation point. :cool:

4. Allenv

Allenv Thread Starter

No exclamation points in device manager.Ran connection wizard set up as lan.When I click on connect to internet or internet explorer it says server not found?
    TIA,Allenv

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

98se doesn't usually install the correct nic card.
    take the card out and see what whose it is, unless you know. check to make sure it's correct in device mgr.

when you know what it is, if you don't have the original floppy, go to the mfg's web site, download the driver for your card to a floppy.

if the card in dm is wrong, delete/remove the card in dm/exit, add hardware, follow the prompts for the nic card/have disk, next ok/ok/etc.
    reboot and it should work when you plug the rj-45 cable into it.

the card may be bad or never setup properly.

i had a bad pci slot a while back. try the nic card in another pci slot. try another card nic card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice