1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lisag, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisag

lisag Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My son draws pictures in the paint program all the time and wants to put one in an e-mail to his Aunt and I don't know how you do that? I use Outlook Express and the paint program is Ability Draw. Help!

2. plejon

plejon

Create a new e-mail message.

Then click on Attach File (the "paperclip" button in your toolbar).
    And file selection dialog box will pop up, just choose the file you want to send

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Hi, Lisa

This is just in case your relatives have problems opening the graphics files you send them. If they have opened the file and viewed it, you can disregard this.

Make sure before you attach the file that it's in a format the recipient can read. Some graphics programs save in proprietary formats that require special viewers to read.

The best way to send a graphics file is probably as a JPG. The option for selecting this is usually under File/Save As, or File/Export in most Windows graphics programs (I'm not familiar with Ability Draw).

JPG (or JPEG) is usually best because almost any graphics program can read that format, AND because the file will be small. BMP files are also readable by any Windows machine, but the files will probably be VERY large.

4. lisag

lisag Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I just always assumed that she would be able to see it!! I will have to check and see what it is, if I ever find it again. Maybe thats why she couldn't listen to a song that I sent her? Does she have to have the same programs I do before she can see and hear things I send her?

Lisa

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

You can also click the body of the email and choose format>background>picture>browse to the picture. This will set the pic as the background or stationary of the email. If the pic is too small, it will recreate copies of it and paste them over the whole page. Sometimes its a neat effect.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

in paint when you save it... its a BMP extention
    you need to change it to jpg before sending. A real easy way to do the mailing of the jpg is as you file it or go to the file ... right click on it & "send to" e-mail recipient. it will open a blank e-mail & attach the jpg. Then all you have to do is address it before mailing

7. lisag

lisag Thread Starter

Thanks,

I like both of those ways. I'm going to go try it!

8. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Hi again, Lisa

Just noticed you're a fellow Kentuckian. Small world, eh? (I'm on the other side of the state from you)

I wanted to clarify a little on the file thing.

Someone you send a file to doesn't necessarily have to have the same programs you do, but they do have to have a program which will recognize the kind of file you send.

So, for example, if you're sending a music file like "coolsong.mp3", the recipient would have to have SOME program that will play MP3 music files (like WinAmp (most popular), MusicMatch (my favorite), or a ton of others).

The reason I mentioned it in response to your first post was that many drawing programs don't save files in standard formats (like jpg, bmp, gif) unless you specifically tell them to, and because of the size issue. A file that's only 40k in JPG format might easily be a megabyte or more in BMP format.

Hope that makes sense, and good luck!

9. lisag

lisag Thread Starter

What??? I'm sure what you just said made perfect sense, I just don't understand!! Its all so overwhelming--gif jpg png txt bmp jpeg! I'm just going to try to attach it or make it go into the body and if I can't do that I'm just gonna forget it!!

I have never met another person from KY on the internet!! Yeah, finally.

10. plejon

plejon

Lisa,

BMP, GIF and JPEG/JPG can be viewed on almost any windows computer. Internet explorer can display the three formats.

BMP is an uncompressed format. This means that the file you generate is huge, which makes for very long wait times if you send the file by e-mail.

GIF is an older, compressed format. It is limited in the number of colours, so not your best choice if you want to send photographs.

JPEG is the same as JPG. This is a format especially designed to store photographs. Photos saved in JPEG format differ slightly from the original, but their size is the smallest of the three formats (BMP, GIF, JPEG). JPEG also features a quality property : you can choose to send a large file which is almost identical to the original picture, send a small file with lower quality, or something in the middle.

There are lots of other graphics formats, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. (PNG, TIFF, WMF, PCX, PSD, ...). The three mentioned earlier should do fine for home use.

For more on the subject, have a look at http://dreamartists.com/gfxfmts.htm

11. hewee

hewee

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice