1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do install dos or any other os

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by kennie616, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennie616

kennie616 Thread Starter

i found an old laptop in my closet. its an old everex 386 but i dont know how to install the operating system. i hav an old ms dos 6.22 disk but it says invalid disk and sometimes missing operating system. Can some one tell me what i need to do.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

You need to get a real set of Dos disks. I believe that the Dos 6.22 is only an upgrade to DOS 6.0 You need to have Dos 6.0 installed first. If you just need a boot disk to test your system you can go here, Download the file to a good computer and run it there. The program should create a bootable disk you can use in your system. It does not create an an operating system disk.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

3. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

MS-dos 6.22 is installed from a set of three floppies. You may have to go into the BIOS of the laptop to set it up to boot from the floppy. Insert the first floppy and power up. If the install doesn't start automatically at the a:\ prompt run setup. If you are going to try and install windows 3.1 you will need to install Dos first. If you are going to try and install a 9X OS you may need a bootdisk, since that laptop probably can't boot from a cd-rom.

Bootdisk.com

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice