1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do my accessories keep getting deleted?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hlpme, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hlpme

hlpme Thread Starter

Is there some virus my anti-virus software and I don't know about? I have reinstalled most of my accessories several times. Every couple of days they disappear again. someone please help!!!:confused:

2. 1101doc

1101doc

Do you mean the accessories listed under All Programs in the Start menu?

3. hlpme

hlpme Thread Starter

ya, I found them in some folder named i386 last night. they keep getting removed from both my start menu and the system32 folder. this i386 folder is the only place they exist. there are also so many folders named $NtUninstall in the windows folder of my hard drive and folders named random letters and numbers like as32fb584. What is all this??

4. 1101doc

1101doc

Those blue $Uninstall folders are actually uninstallers for all the hotpatches and updates you have recieved from Microsoft. They are provided in case there is ever a problem so that the downloaded fix can be removed. Everyone has them and they do no harm. Unless you are very(very) short on disc space, just leave them alone. The odd number and letter folders are usually just bits left over from updates. During the installation procedure, sometimes folders are temporarily created by Windows and then not completely cleaned up. You will notice that these folders usually have very small sizes (4-6 KB). They take up very little space, and unless you are sure that they are not required(a very difficult thing to determine) they are best left alone as well.
    Congratulations on finding the i386 folder! That is your ultimate fall-back. Preserve it!
    The problem you describe does sound very much like malware, and a nasty bit at that. These new baddies often do things to the system to make it hard to remove them. I strongly suggest that you go to the Security section of this forum, follow the steps for self-help as presented, and then post a HiJackThis log for review. Once you are sure that your system is clean, and if the problem persists(unlikely) please post back in the Windows section and we will help you get it sorted out. Good luck, and please post back here with your progress. (This is not the place for HJT logs, however. They have there own section.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice