1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do people turn regular music into Nintendo sounding music?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by SpyKiller112, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpyKiller112

SpyKiller112 Guest Thread Starter

On this site, and there are many others like it people turn a regular song into something that sounds like it came from Nintendo... What program do they use?

http://jesusnes.ytmnd.com/

2. djangojazz

djangojazz

Through the magic of MIDI.

Musical
    Instrument
    Digital
    Interface

Back in the day analog music, music comes in waves to store a full orchestra at a great sound takes A LOT OF memory, couldn't fit onto things unless it was compressed. People started digitizing music with WAV and MIDI files to shorten memory but it took away from sound quality but allowed digitizing effects. So you could here something like "The Wind Cries Mary" by Jimi sounding like it came out of a crappy casio recorder. If someone wants to make something sound like an 8 bit videogame, they are most likely using MIDI on something with minimal memory array.

You can get free recording programs out there I'm sure and decent sound cards come with basic crappy recording programs. Any questions ask away I just started getting into home recording and use a pretty respectable setup using Cubase 3.0 SL with Steinberg which can do pretty much the same thing as Acid, Cakewalk, or ProTools but is much easier in my experience to work with.

3. SpyKiller112

So i'm not really understanding. All i have to do is convert a song into MIDI and it will sound like a videogame? Or is there more to it?

4. djangojazz

djangojazz

2 things:

1. What are you trying to accomplish(besides sounding like a video game), IE: making music for a movie, for part of something else, for a phone, etc.

2. MIDI can sound good too, it's just synthesized music. The easiest way to make video game sounding music is to use the cheapest program, with the cheapest keyboard, and a mid to cheap sound card. If you have something good that would be hilarious to say you can't make something sound like a video game, but honestly I've never tried it myself. I just know friends who had and they all did it through MIDI.

5. dunrock

dunrock

find a dusty sk1 at an old pawn shop

6. SpyKiller112

Sorry i haven't replied in a long time. I didn't get the email notification on the new post.

Anyway, I would want to make this music just to listen to... on my computer or my mp3 player.

So lets pretend I have the song "Hey Jude - The Beatles" What is my next step towards my goal? ex: what program

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice