Not open for further replies.

How Do Smartplugs Work Remotely

Solved 
Tags
smartplug
638 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  balgay 
#1 ·
Hi,
I've searched internet and asked manufacturer but nobody seems to want to go into detail of how smartplugs work remotely. I have a TP-Link smartplug and configured it to work via my router wi-fi connection. I can see how the Kasa app on my android phone can switch the plug on/off when I am local ie within wi-fi connection. What I need to know from a security aspect is how the Kasa App works when I am miles away from home. The instructions stress that remote connection requires a Kasa account to be set-up (cloud server?). I am concerned that I might be at risk of being hacked by using this plug. Without knowing the detail I cannot assess the risk. I feel even more concerned that the manufacturer refuses to detail how it works. Can anyone help?
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
In general, you either have to configure your router to allow access to an internal device/IP or configure the device to connect to an external service (ie: cloud in this case). So you could connect directly to the device or connect to the service (cloud) which in turn connects to the device.

Odds are low that anyone would spend the time and effort to "hack" an individual user. Any risk is typically from the device/software/external service not being well updated/secured by the vendor. The same applies to any "smart" device within your home.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Jim. I did not open a port on router. At first I was concerned this might have been done by the app but I have checked and seems not. I think their comment that remote access is dependent on setting up an account on their servers ie cloud means the app is using the cloud to connect to the device as you have detailed. Your comment on risk is reassuring. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.