1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do u remove a windows off my pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bighomedog11, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bighomedog11

Bighomedog11 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I need some more room on my pc and i am wondering whats the best way to free up some room? I have like another windows xp on my pc because when my pc was acting up i installd a new windows and didn't erase the old one. I am wondering how do i remove the extra windows i have on my pc because i know thats taken up room right there.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please use Internet Explorer to view this article

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

3. Bighomedog11

alright. but ya like when i am about to boot up it has 2 windows i can choose from how do i delete one?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Follow the instructions in Post #2.

5. Slyth66

Slyth66

I don't think that's what he is talking about. I had the same problem a few months ago. It showed like

I figured it on my own but I can't remember exactly what I did. I don't think I got rid of them but I did stop that screen from coming up. I might have chose something like "Start in this mode every time I boot Windows.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The steps are:

1 - Backup all of the data on the hard drive

2 - Format the hard drive during a clean install

3 - Do all installation of service packs and windows updatres

4 - Install all programs that are needed by you.

Or refer to my Post #2 for these instructions.

7. Bighomedog11

yup thats what i am talkin about i want to delete on of the windows on there.

8. Bighomedog11

Anybody!?

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try this:

Right click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced. and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. If you select the proper system in the Default operating system window and uncheck the Time to display list of operating systems box, it'll automatically boot without showing you the menu.

10. Bighomedog11

Alright.. How do i delete it off my HDD though to get more Room?

11. Satsumomo

Satsumomo

I'm not sure about this but, put your Windows XP CD in the drive and reboot your system. Press any key when it tells you if you want to boot from CD. Once there, other than the option of repairing an installation, I believe you can also delete previous installations of Windows as well.

12. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Want to save a lot of time. The one way I have found to solve this problem of multiple versions of Windows on a computer is to save all of the data to another media and do a clean install and use the format function in the install program to format everything. This fixes everything in one or two operations. Just think if you followed post #2 you would have been done and up and running by now.

13. The Hound

The Hound

I know we're usually more creative here, but a second hard drive can be had for, what , about forty cents a gig or less...

14. valerymenelas

valerymenelas

Hey i had the same problem and i know how to fix it..
    Right Click on My computer, Properties,Advance
    Then'll youll see Startup and Recovery
    click the settings for it
    then youll see something like this..
    To edit the startup options file manually click Edit.
    (itll take you to a notepad)
    Then youll click edit and youll see two operating systems
    you highlight the one that you dont want and then erase it.
    then you click save and restart your computer to see if it works.
    And it should..

15. shivpatelssp

shivpatelssp

What type of PC do you have?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/577604