1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you clear XP error log

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dr Dave, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Thread Starter

Anyone know how to clear XP Pro "Error Log"?

2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Thread Starter

I did some research and solved my own problem, about how to clear the "Error Log", also the "System Events Log". You might want to save this to "My Documents. I found that my "Error Log"
    had 793 items listed some going back to March. My "System Events" listed 2,584 items. This is what I did to clear them.

Click Start | Settings | Control Panel. Open the Administrative Tools item, and double-click on Event Viewer. Here you can view the Application Log and System Log, which record errors and other events. You can save a log to a file using Action | Save Log File As or clear a log by selecting Action | Clear All Events.

For future peace of mind, right-click on each log and choose Properties from the pop-up menu. You can set a maximum size for the log (the default is 512KB) and choose what to do when the log is full. Select Overwrite events as needed to ensure that the log file never grows past its specified size. Have a good day.

3. thingy

thingy

I have also found those Event Viewer things

Two questions though:

Were you referring to the Error Log which is accessible from Help and Support?

If so- how do you clear that? - mine is miles long!

Also- what have you set in the Event Viewer things instead of the default 51Kb?

I believe these things start overwriting when they reach the default but how many entries fit into 512Kb - seems an awful lot -we don't need to go back months -just one month would be enough?

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Event viewer is the app that you use to view the Event logs. They are the same thing whichever way you access them, either from Help and Support or the Control Panel.

To change the settings, open event viewer and the right-click the log you want to change (they are all set individually). Then choose properties from the popup menu.

On the General tab you can either set a max log size, in conjunction with the setting "overwrite events as needed" Or if you want to clear them every thirty days, just set the box for "Overwrite events older than" to 30 days.

5. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Thread Starter

Thanks Nick, couldn't have said it better myself. Hows the weather in England? How do you like my new motto?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/85314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice