1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you create an HTML email to send through Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by coachdan32, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coachdan32

coachdan32 Thread Starter

How do people create an HTML email that looks like a webpage that will send via Outlook?

2. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

I dont know if your looking for this but in outlook.
    Go to Tools,Options, Mail Format,
    I have the option that says use Microsoft Word to edit email messages.
    And I have in the drop down HTML

So I dont know if this is what your looking for.

3. coachdan32

coachdan32 Thread Starter

No, I'm talking about when a company sends an advertisement to you that looks like a webpage. How do they make it? Do they just create a webpage and copy it into an email?

4. djangojazz

djangojazz

1. Open Notepad, or if you have MS Publisher or Word as part of Office you can save as an HTML document

2. Once your page is done save it as whatever but make sure the extension is *.html.

3. File>Send>Page by Email(see example)

Many companies simply make something in Publisher or Word and then simply send it directly from there and most people have HTML enabled in their outlook so they see it that way.

Attached Files:

5. Theresa1313

Theresa1313

I can use email directly from Outlook 2003, however, when I try to send a web page via email, the message is not being send. Is there someting in the email settings that prevents this from happening?

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

A web page is merely a text file with some codes relating to font size, links to pictures, etc. for the browser to interpret. About all I can think of is that you have your mail settings set to send mail as plain text, which would probably send the file but not as HTML.

7. djangojazz

djangojazz

Well yeah you guessed it the common message to send in Outlook is attached.

But......

Your mail settings could be changed too. Why so many use Outlook is beyond me and how people defend it like it's some great thing is even more ridiculous. It's most likely your mail settings, try and list Outlook as the default email client, check the "Mail" settings in the control panel, and make sure that creating is selected for HTML. It could be a recent update also changed something for Outlook. I noticed on my network just last week 3 clients could either have their choice an active x script warning everytime someone with a sig mailed them or they could not get the error but not be able to print. Outlook has WAY too many functions going on for it's own good IMHO.

Attached Files:

8. Theresa1313

Theresa1313

Thanks, but my settings were already as you suggested. As for outlook, have to use it at work, no choice.

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    A caveat or warning to you. I helped an association whom was sending out a newsletter via Outlook to different banks. They could not send it out to certain clients due to them blocking HTML. I personally work for the military and as such they block anything above plain text formatting. You might want to just send it as a Word attachment.

10. Theresa1313

Theresa1313

I am just trying to achieve the same look on my email that you get when companies such as JC Penneys send you an email with their latest sale, etc. It looks like a website and gives you all the links.

11. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    You definitely can do all of that by doing a word document and sending it out as the message body like was previously stated. You will want to lay out the whole document in a table to constrain where everything is at.

12. smdesigner

smdesigner

It is amazing how so many people posted a reply, but no one answered the question.

Opinions are just that. Not answers.

I would like to know the answer to this question, also: How to email a web page (.html) through Outlook with images embedded. This web page having been designed from DreamWeaver or GoLive, etc. Like an ad.

And it doesn't matter if people have text only browsers, or block html.

Thanks.

13. smdesigner

smdesigner

OK. Really unbelievable. I came up with this info and it works:

Open the html page in IE. Edit > select all. Edit > Copy. Create a new email message and paste into the body of the email.

Be sure to have your email formatting set to HTML (Tools > Options > mail format).

It embeds any images you may have, however I understand, the formatting cannot be too complex.

14. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Actually the question was answered by different angles giving different ways of doing the end result. I am guessing you are referring to my warnings from the referenced quote underneath and that you have not sent out an html based email like newsletter. I am perplexed that you come to the forum asking a question, but are already coming with that tone. It does in fact matter if they block HTML, because if they do it is going to come over looking nowhere near what is supposed to look like. The user I was helping had to send out two batches for their HTML newsletter, one for users that did not block HTML and one for users whom did in a Word document attachment. To answer your question though most people would upload the images and/or banner ads and reference those in the document when sending them within the body of a message.

15. slurpee55

slurpee55

Frankly, the more I read, the more it sounds like spam. If you are trying to send out ads, hire an ad agency. Oh, Dan, I just saw who started this. Never mind.
    I don't know if this will work, but try building up the page as you want it in Word or whatever. Copy it all, open Outlook and start a new blank HTML formatted message. Paste it into the message.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!