1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you create paging file on external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SuperBlockboy10, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperBlockboy10

SuperBlockboy10 Thread Starter

I recently got an 2TB external hard drive and realized that I wasn't using over half of it. So, I tried to use some of that space as virtual memory because sometimes my computer would freeze while playing games due to little memory left. When I tried it, however, it didn't work. I was wondering how I would get a paging file on the external hard drive.

2. night-fury

night-fury

Page file must always be available, even before the USB disk is ready for use. Not sure why you need a page file on external drive, though.

Also reading and writing to external hard disk will be much slower that on the internal bus. You may have to keep the external HDD connected while turning system on every time which negates the point of having an external HDD.

3. night-fury

night-fury

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice