1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you delete Microsoft Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wet Chicken, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

Is there a program or way that we can COMPLETELY delete IE 5.0?

We have tried to repair it a thousand times, and still it acts up :(

The only other option that we have is to delete it, and reinstall it from scratch, but how :confused:

2. mobo

mobo

3. Wet Chicken

OK I'll give it a try, but on their web site it says it's for Win98 and Win98SE, and we have Win ME so I'm not sure if it will work. It's worth a try though... ;)

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why not just go to Windows Update and upgrade to IE6.

5. vjain

vjain

hey, go to control panel and then to add/remove programs. click on internet explorer and remove it. then go on micrsoft.com or whereever you can download IE again. download it, it should work fine now. hope i helped,
    ~vjain

6. Wet Chicken

Thanks mobo :)

It worked even though their web site said it was only for Win98/SE. They really should update their site :p

It took over 4 hours to install IE 6.0, and it seems that it is working bad just like 5.0 did :eek:

It's a brand new (fresh) install of Windows, so I don't know what could be wrong :(

Thanks anyway, at least we were able to upgrade it....

7. Wet Chicken

Hi LwdSquashman. It wouldn't let up update /upgrade to IE 6.0. It would freeze up 3/4 of the way through the install.

8. Wet Chicken

Hi vjain. We tried that too but it never worked right :(

9. sekirt

sekirt

Wet
    I am really curious....what is wrong with how your IE's are working?

sekirt

10. Wet Chicken

Well the biggest and the most annoying problem is that every 5 seconds or so the computer pauses for a second. The mouse will actually stop, and if you're downloading something you can see the download stop for a second (every 5 seconds). It carries over onto all of the computer functions, so that the computer acts this way and pauses for a second as long as IE is running. When we close IE all of the problems go away.

Also, almost every time that we turn on IE we have to reinstall all of it's plugins (like flash, etc)...

Plus it crashes the computer a lot of the time. No problems when IE is off.

We've checked for spyware and viruses, but nothing has been found.

Formated hard drive. Reinstalled Win ME. Deleted IE as noted above. Reinstalled IE 6.0 from scratch. Problem still persist :(

11. sekirt

sekirt

When you formatted the hard drive and did a clean install of ME, did the problems start up right away?

Did you install programs other than normal Windows programs?

I shouldn't have been so curious, haven't got a clue. Maybe start a new thread and post a Hijack This and hope something turns up?

sekirt

12. Wet Chicken

I'm not 100% positive but I think they have been there since the beginning. I'm not sure what you mean by "normal" windows programs :confused:

I'm going to reinstall the modem drivers, and the video card drivers and see if that helps any, but I doubt it... :(

13. sekirt

sekirt

I meant, for instance, I have several programs that are not by Microsoft. Did you try simply to run IE with only Microsoft Programs (Windows, Word, Excel, etc)? Obviously it shouldn't behave that way and sounds like something is in conflict with IE - or some kind of spyware/malware.

sekirt

14. Wet Chicken

I just remembered that last week we reinstalled windows again from scratch, so it looks like its been this way from the beginning. All of the non-Microsoft programs are by very reputable companies like Photoshop, Diskeeper, ETC...

It doesn't matter though if it's a non-Microsoft program or not, if IE is running then they all run bad. The thing that's confusing me is that it can only be so many things (IE, modem, dial up, ETC) and yet all of those things seem to be OK... :(

15. Horowitz

Horowitz

Just to let you know all that does is remove the shortcuts, doesn't actually touch the program itself. =)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice