1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you determine viewing RESOLUTION?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by BigDaveinNJ, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

I have my monitor set for 800 x 600 resolution. Most of the sites I visit fit perfectly on the screen however as of late there have been some sites, especially ones at MySpace etc... where I have to do some major "scrolling" around to see the whole page.

What is the cause of this. Take this site, for example. It fits just fine on my 800 x 600 screen. There are some sites that you have to scroll all over the place to see the page in full.

Here are a few questions.....

1 --- I will be designing a site soon using a WYSIWYG editor. Is there some setting somewhere in these WYSIWYG editors that will determine whether or not the viewer will have to scroll around?

2 --- What is the web "standard"? So to speak. Is it still 800 x 600?

3 --- Why is it, when I visit MySpace.com I usually have to scroll all over the place instead of just being able to see it easily, as I can here and on MOST sites?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

2. DrP

DrP

Go to this link:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    and scroll down to the Display Resolution section.
    You are in a minority but still a significant minority (about 25% people use a resolution your size). I know from experience that most schools in the UK use 800 x 600 and that's a lot of screens. I gather that 800 x 600 is the minimum size a website need be built for.

3. namenotfound

namenotfound

The current "standard" if you will, is 1024x768
    I use a size of 1280x800

The "size" of a website is determinded by serveral things.

One is the size of the banner, another is if your site uses <table> tags for layout, the width of the tables. And there are a few other factors, but those are the main two.

I try to make all my sites accessable to people on 800x600 resolution. If there's any scrolling on my sites for 800x600 users, it's a very small amount (maybe about 10-20 pixels at most they have to scroll)

The reason Myspace is like that is because of the layout. Mainly the "top 8" you have 2 rows of 4 pictures. That takes up a lot of room. Plus all the other crap they have on there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice