How do you do a Scandisk on WinXP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mariekirkwoo

Hi, I am using a borrowed computer which has Windows XP installed. I am having difficulty getting a brand new game to load a saved file. I don't know where to look to do a scandisk on this OS. I know it is not called scandisk but can't remember the correct name. I only have this machine for three more days, and really want to finish my game, lol. Thanks.
Marie

It isn't scandisk, but rather, chkdsk. You will need to go to Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. From here, the DOS prompt, type in chkdsk and press enter. It will run a scan similar to the old scandisk. Also, I'd run this command as well: sfc /scannow. This is a good command to run, and it may ask you for your Windows CD if it finds any problems, so I'd suggest to have it handy.

windows xp does it only when needed or you can manuelly do it by going under properties under the drive in question in "my computer"

I had the same question so I did the chkdsk command and it said 'F parameter not spedified. Chkdsk is running in read only mode' The scan disk ran and when it ended it said it had errors and 'the scan cannot continue in read only mode'. Any suggestions? Thanks

Click start, run type diskmgmt.msc and click ok.
Right click the drive (example C: ) and left click properties. Select the tools tab, click "check now" and select the fix errors button.

Windows will need to unmount the drive so it will run on the next boot.

OK got that done but now it says 'windows found problems with the file system' and to run
chkdsk with the '/f' option to correct the errors. I did that I thought, i put in 'chkdsk/f' but it
came back with the same message to run with the /f option. Did I type it in wrong? Thanks

There is no need to type anything, run the disk check as I stated in the previous post and select both the options to "automatically fix file system errors" and check the box "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

click start, windows will again re-boot and run the tests.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online