1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you do a two word search

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by smeegle, Sep 8, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

I've checked the site instructions and can't find the answer to this question. For example: if you look up the term backup program you'll get information on the first word and information on the second word in the same search. Is there some code to use in a search to combine a multiple word query? Such as using an asterisk between the two words (backup*program).

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy smeegle

try using quotes...ie... "backup program"

buck

3. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

Okay, buck52, this is what I did. I tried "backup program" and I got "backup program". Nothing else. So I decided to put it to the test and searched for "external hard drive". I got external hard drive, I got hard drive and so on. I think that there must be another way to narrow the search when using multiple word queries.

4. angel

angel

how about...
    backup AND program
    I think that should find any posts that contain both wors backup and program.

5. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

That doesn't work either, Angel. You still get more information than you need if you type "and" in small case letters or capitalize them. Thanks anyway. The provision to make multiple word queries must have been input somewhere in this system.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

7. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

So, does anybody know if there is way to do a multiple word query in the Search menu?

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

9. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

When I clicked your link I got the message " Sorry no matches". Maybe you're seeing something that I'm not.

10. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

I think that's the point...I have a miserable time using "search"...:(

Carolyn

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    looking forward to the answer I have the same problems searching

12. buck52

buck52 Banned

If it makes anyone feel any better I think the search function is miserable at best...

just my opinion...Any search function needs to very simple to use and produce reasonably relavent results

I get the same thing as you smeegle on both of my links now...must be a timing thing...here's a screen shot of what I get useing "backup programs"

It's no wonder newcomers don't bother with it

buck

Attached Files:

13. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

Shall I close this since there seems to be no answer to my question?

14. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

I've never had much luck with the search function here at TSG either. I have much better luck with Google, or other sites. (Hate to say that, but truth hurts sometime.)

Have you tried Googling "backup program"?

15. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

Oh, yes and I have always found Google to be helpful. The term "backup program" was just an example. It's okay to research information about products, but on this site you can sometimes get a history of feed back on the use of these products. The "Search" menu would be instrumental in finding those historical comments on this site.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice