1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do you freaking solve atikmpag.sys BSOD Issue - hint, a wipe doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by drummerofsummer, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drummerofsummer

drummerofsummer Thread Starter

If you or anyone even suggests a dump, I will get angry. From what I know this is a known issue and nobody in the world gives a crap. Be the first please. 3 Computer stores did not help me. I was all like this "great for helping thankyou so much thankyou for looking at my pc ty ty ty. Now run Left 4 Dead 2." -Reply- "Your computer is finnnnneeee now, take it home, we dumped, should get rid of any BSOD issues, NOW HAVE A NICE DAY :)" EACH FREAKING TIME IT GETS THE SAME ISSUE WITH ANY GAME RUN IN FULLSCREEN. IVE TRIED EVERY SINGLE DRIVER. GIVE ME SOME STRAIGHT INFO IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE BECAUSE THE GUYS I TALKED TO DID NOT. I'VE BEEN UNABLE TO USE MY PC FOR 2 YEARS, EVERY STARTUP SOUND MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH BABIES.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

The last answer here http://social.answers.microsoft.com...e/thread/5f0aebb6-b9b6-4a5d-a622-97c62dbb3d66
    says "This completely solved the issue for me. I can play all kinds of videos and could turn on flash hardware acceleration again with no more BSOD."

I had a similar problem (with my Gigabyte HD 5870), H246 videos would make my computer BSOD in win7, citing atikmpag.sys as the problem and just crash the drivers in winXP. Same with youtube videos if I had flash hardware acceleration on.

Solution:
    The problem was that my motherboard (which is like 2-3 years old) had a too old VGA Bios version and the solution is obviously to update it.
    Now both my motherboard and HD 5870 are from Gigabyte and this is how I did.

1. Download VGA Tools [email protected] from: http://www.gigabyte.eu/Support/VGA/Utility_List.aspx
    (the app in the top row)

2. Download the latest Bios VGA binary file for your graphics card. Now Gigabyte have their own system for their graphics cards names and mine was "GV-R587UD-1GD". Usually you can find this name on your receipt or on the box somewhere. Alt. you could install the [email protected] tool and it's display the name for you.

3. When you have the Gigabyte-name for your graphics card goto http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx and search for the name there.

4. Click your graphics card, Downloads, choose Bios under Download type and download the latest version unless it's a beta version. I used version F8 (on 2010-09-07). When you've downloaded the file, just unpack to your desktop.

5. Install the [email protected] tool and restart your computer just to be sure.

6. Run the [email protected] tool, backup your current bios file (mine was just version F3 when latest was F8 :S)

7. Click the Flash button and select the binary file you downloaded in step 3 and let the tool do its job and then restart your computer when it asks you to.

This completely solved the issue for me. I can play all kinds of videos and could turn on flash hardware acceleration again with no more BSOD.

I hope that's something that might work?

Richard

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice