1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you FTP on AOL?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mulderator, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

I am helping someone with AOL create a web page and followed the instructions on setting up an account in WS-FTP using "www.members.aol.com" as the host name, "anonymous" as the account name and the full aol e-mail address as the password as per the instructions on AOL. While I can access the web space, I can't upload any pages.

Can someone who uses AOL clue me in on how to do this. BTW, we are trying it using AOL Anywhere. I'm guessing this works if logged on the AOL user's home computer, but I would think you could do it from any computer. But I know you must transmit that password somehow, but how?

2. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Mulder----It appears that your friend must be logged on to AOL through AOL's system to upload the pages. According to AOL:

"AOL Members: If you've created your home page with another Web publishing tool and you're on AOL, you may need to publish or upload each page manually at Keyword: My FTP Space. You also have the option of using a third party FTP program, like the ones listed here. You'll need to download, install and set up the FTP program by entering the following information into the program's login:

- Host Name/Address: members.aol.com
    - User Name/ID: (Set to "anonymous")
    - Password: (Your full AOL e-mail address)

Pages must be published with either the extension ".htm" or ".html" for AOL Hometown to recognize them, and they cannot be located in your private directory. FTP is available to AOL members only. Web members using an AIM screen name can publish a home page in AOL Hometown by using 1-2-3 Publish or Easy Designer."

You could add AOL to your computer and log in under your friends screen name and FTP from your computer. Note you need to go to: "My FTP Space" to do this.
    Seems like a lot of hassle, might be easier to do it from your friends computer assuming he has the FTP program. If he doesn't then you are between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Do you add AOL to your computer or FTP to his?

3. Mulderator

Thanks Crumb--I actually went to ipswitch's knowledgebase (the company that makes WS-FTP) and it indicates there that you cannot use an FTP server using any other ISP besides AOL, which is pretty much what you quoted above. Just another reason for me to hate AOL :)

4. Mulderator

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice