1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you install a SATA HD?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SATA newbie, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SATA newbie

SATA newbie Thread Starter

I have it all hooked up right but my bios wont detect the HD help!!!!!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The SATA has its own BIOS in most cases; this means that the drive will not appear in the regular BIOS setup. In this case you must make sure the SATA or SCSI is enabled and in the boot sequence.

To further help with this we need to know if you're adding this drive to an existing system or if this is a new build and Windows needs to go on this drive.

3. SATA newbie

This is a new system and windows needs to go on it yes, any help u can offer me would be fantastic

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure SATA or SCSI is in the boot sequence as well as the CD-ROM. Place the Windows CD in the drive and it should boot off the CD. Next you will need to provide a floppy disk with drivers for the SATA controller/card on them. if you refer to your motherboard manual it will tell you what files you need to place on this disk. You can get these files off the motherboard CD or off the motherboard manufacturer's website. You will need to watch the Windows setup and press F6 at the right point to provide the driver disk. You may be able to bypass this step if Windows recognises the SATA chip by itself so you may want to run through the setup with pressing F6 and the floppy.

The motherboard model and version of Windows will be required if you still have problems.

5. SATA newbie

awesome thank you so very much ill get right onto that :)

6. SATA newbie

allright I have cd set as 1st boot but I it wont give me the option to set SATA or SCSI at all....whats wrong now?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You really should stay with one post to keep everything straight. What motherboard do you have and is the SATA part of the motherboard or is it a PCI add-on card? What options are you given for the boot order, do you have HDD? The manual might give some ideas as to this, but without the motherboard model this can't be looked up.

8. SATA newbie

9. SATA newbie

and the other stuff u asked the SATA plugs are built into the mother board...when i opened it I was very cusrious as to what those little orange plugs were bc ive never heard of or seen SATA until today...things to boot from well I have my DVDrom and my CDrw, having trouble opening my DVD rom so im using the RW as 1st boot I also have my floppy drive as an option to boot from, I cant seem to find the SCSI drivers on the MSI site so Im totaly lost as to what I should do :(

10. SATA newbie

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Hehehe...no I think he means from the BIOS... what are the boot options in the BIOS... ;)

If you have SCSI use that, if not use CD...

12. SATA newbie

Those are my options in the bios as things to boot from.....but I cant install windows because my computer thinks it doesnt has a HD and for the life of me i cant figure out why

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

This should all be in your manual.

Did you install all of the drivers that came with the mobo?

If you did, then it should be showing up in device manager... is it?

14. SATA newbie

I havent installed any drivers at all...I have my win xp pro cd and the Mobo Cd how do I install the MB drivers w/out having windows installed?

15. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Not a big fan of MSI so I'm not sure if their CD's are bootable. Is this hard drive from another system, or is it brand new?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice