1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you interpret paths like C:\DOCUME~1\...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by royeo, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. royeo

royeo Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Pro, sp 2.

I've encountered paths like: C:\DOCUME~1\ROYON~1\LOCALS~1\Temp. Except the tilde is higher. I don't know how to follow paths when there like this. Can someone please tell me how to interpret this path?

Thanks,

royeo

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Hi.

This kind of path is contraction of the real folder or file names so that they are compatible with the old 8.3 DOS filename format. I don't know why it is necessary, but in (my) theory it works this way:
    Long names are stripped of all spaces, even between words.
    If the resulting string, without extension, is longer than 8 characters, the 6 leftmost characters are taken and an index appended, to distinguish between similar names.
    So "ASDFGHJKLQWE" becomes "ASDFGH~1" while ASDFGHJKLRTZ" becomes "ASDFGH~2"

So the one you submitted translates to something like

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp
    Where username is different for each user of the computer.

3. 1101doc

1101doc

The tilde (~) is a place keeper for more text to shorten the path. Docu~ is Documents and settings,etc. It may be helpful for you to go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View, and check the boxes that say: "Show full path in address bar\Title bar." That way each window that you open will display the full path in the header, so if multiple windows are open the paths are still visible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice