1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you keep a monitor on during boot up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fenderchamp, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Thread Starter

I'm trying the get into the setup or BOIS of my computer (Dell Dimension 2400). I know that I need to hit the F2 key just after I see the Dell logo when the machine boots up. The problem is that the monitor turns itself off when the computer shuts down and does not turn back on untill the log on screen (of MS Windows XP) appears, so I do not see the Dell logo or the message "press F2 to enter setup".

I've pressed F2 during the boot up & I think I'm entering the setup but the monitor is not on so I can't do anything.

Any ideas?

2. fenderchamp

that doesn't work. the monitor's power button is not touched when i'm booting up. it must receive a signal to come on just before the log in screen.

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Does it turn off or is it just a black screen until it recieves a signal

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Also try the DEL key on startup

5. fenderchamp

I hear a click and it turns off. the power light on the front of the monitor which is green when it's on and dark when it's off turns gold or yellow after I hear the click and the screen goes blank.

6. fenderchamp

the monitor is an Envision 17"

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're probably out of luck. I have an old Innovative 17" 1280x1024 monitor here, and it won't display the BIOS, but once Windows gets running, it wakes up. I get a "signal out of range" error while the BIOS POST is running. This unit is about 4-5 years old, and obviously was designed poorly. If I need to access the BIOS on that machine, I swap it out for a modern LCD to access it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice