1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you know if a firmware update actually installed properly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lazlo_McCool, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lazlo_McCool

Lazlo_McCool Thread Starter

Hey,

I just had a quick question I have a LG CH08LS10 Blu ray drive and I have been having glitches with some Blu Rays namely Terminator Salvation and The Dark Knight they run choppy and stutter. All of my other Blu Rays run fine.

Anyway the software that came with the Blu Ray Drive came with the LG Tool Kit. When I first got the drive I used it to auto look for firmware updates. It found one update to make the drive compatible with Windows 7. It says that the update was successful but I'm unsure whether that's the case or not as I can't find out where to find out which firmware I have right now.

So I have tried everything to fix the stuttering issue with the two Blu Rays. I've updated Java, upgraded the Blu Ray playing software, updated graphics drivers, switched off tons of start up programs and still Terminator Salvation and The Dark Knight stutter. It doesn't make sense because TS spikes at 100% percent CPU usage all the time and 2012 is 50% percent.

So should I just go to the LG website and manually download the firmware update? Or will that damage my drive?

Compaq Presario Intel Celeron D 3.46GHz
    Windows Vista Basic SP2
    2GB Ram
    120GB Hard Drive
    Nvidia BFG GeForce 9500 GT 1GB PCI-E 2.0 Driver, 197.45
    BFG 450 Watt Power Supply
    Samsung p2250 Monitor digital driver
    16X BD-ROM LG Ultra BLue
    Alhena 5 Motherboard

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Lazlo_McCool

Lazlo_McCool Thread Starter

I agree about the weak CPU. I have tried the WinDVD free trial and they disable the ability to play Blu Ray on the trial version. I don't get why Christian Bale Blu Rays won't work. The weirdest part is looking at Task Manager and watching how much ram Powerdvd takes up during Terminator Salvation on Blu Ray and it takes up double the ram (400,000) that say 2012 (200,000) takes up on Blu Ray. I also tried the free trial of Arcsoft's Totalmedia Theatre and it runs smoother but the audio is out of sync.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice