1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you make a Hard Disk Drive as my My Music folder?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xangel, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xangel

Xangel Thread Starter

I have this idea however I don't know if you can do it. What i want to do is to make my Hard Disk Drive as my My Music folder: Whenever you click or go into My Music, it will act as a shortcut and head straight to the Hard Disk Drive. The reason for this is so I have a Hard Disk Drive full of music while my original HDD has all the other stuff. Also My Music is a special windows folder so I would like to keep that if possible when doing this. I hope anyone can answer this question. Thank you.

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

One way would be to open My Computer, right click on the drive icon that has your music, and from the drop down menu, choose 'create shortcut'. Rename it to 'My Music', right click that icon and choose 'properties'. Click on the 'change icon' button and pick out the icon you want to represent the shortcut.

Hope that helped :)

3. Xangel

Xangel Thread Starter

But what if I click start and then select My Music. I don't think it would go to the shortcut because Windows would be looking for the actual object. A Folder and Shortcut are two different things; Shortcuts are actual Files with the extension ".lnk".

But as I was looking on the internet, could you make the HDD full of music as a Shell Folder or something? Thanks anyways dude.

4. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

use the Folder Redirector utility to redirect special folders in Windows XP

it works (after a restart), however, it changed the 'My Music button' in the start menu to 'Local Drive' with a HDD Icon :)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use TweakUI for XP to move the folder. You can move many system folders to new locations if you want.

6. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

personally, i don't like TweakUI ... FolderRedirector is a little stand alone tool that does not require installation. it will suffice for such a simple task as relocating 'special folders' for those not too fond of editing the registry.

7. Xangel

Xangel Thread Starter

Thanks you guys. I might still think about TweakUI because I always trust a Microsoft (mainly because its Microsoft), but also i use that thing for only a couple of features. If it can redirect the My Music folder to the HDD WITHOUT changing the icon of the Start Menu My Music button, then TweakUI it is (it is a cool lil gadget.) Anyways people with other suggestions feel free to express themselves.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It has a lot of other useful features, too. I can't swear that the Music folder was one of the folders that it could move, though. In any case, it's easily uninstalled.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/627372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice