1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you make a Vista boot disk?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kamajogo, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kamajogo

kamajogo Thread Starter

Computer: Acer Aspire 5100, notebook
    Operating OS: Windows Vista

Recently my new Acer, with Vista, crashed. I went to the box to get what I thought was the install disk, so I could run a recovery, and discovered there was no install disk. Acer has stopped giving you install disks. Needless to say, this was a huge hassle for me - I'll spare you the sob story. Let's just say their tech support was exceptionally unhelpful.

Now I want a boot disk in case this happens again. I have looked everywhere I know to look in Vista, but can't find a function for creating one. I've googled it but couldn't find info. I found a thread here with a similar question, but I didn't really understand what was being suggested.

I just need a disk to have on hand for crashes or when I need to reformat. How do I make one? I am not a computer whiz, though I'm not completely ignorant.

2. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

You'll probably have to purchase a recovery disk from them. Dell did the same thing with not giving you recovery disks anymore.

3. kamajogo

kamajogo Thread Starter

I can look into that, but are you saying that there is seriously no way at all to make a boot disk in Windows Vista? Who's bright idea was that?

4. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

Microsoft. Who else? :p

Then again, you might be able to make a boot disk whether or not you have an Vista disc. I wouldn't know.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A boot disk is not the same thing as a recovery disk. I'm guessing that when you talked to Acer tech support, you used the wrong terminology and therefore didn't get a good answer. You don't want a boot disk, you want restore/recovery disks. There's probably a hidden partition on the hard drive that's accessed with certain keystrokes that would recover the system back to the way it was when you bought it.

Either call them back to ask specifically how to recovery the machine to factory settings and find out if you can create recovery disks or wait for someone with Acer-specific knowledge to post possible info for you.

6. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

That's a good solution as any, I suppose.

Can't hurt to try.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is usually a utility to generate a set of CD's or DVD's from the recovery partition, since you'll need them if the hard disk croaks. Look around in the Start Menu.

8. kamajogo

kamajogo Thread Starter

Just an update - it took awhile, but I finally got a customer service guy to send me the recovery disks (yes, you're right, I had to use that terminology and explain why I needed them). I got them in a week.

I still don't understand why they don't just include them with the computer, since they're obviously necessary, but whatever. Maybe this info will help someone else in the same situation.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's all about price. Saving 50 cents in manufacture of something sounds meaningless to you, but multiply it by 5000 and that's how a mfgr makes money. No different than raising the price of the same model auto every year and removing ash tray or clock or something a long with it, it's called how to make a profit!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice