1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do you re-direct a site?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by cammi, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cammi

cammi Thread Starter

2. RandyG

RandyG

2 different ways. You can set the server to map www.whatever.com to map as www.anything.com

this would usually be set up with whoever is hosting your site www.whatever.com

or

if you want a splash page that automatically redirects visitors to another site, you would have
    this type of tag is frowned upon by many search engines because the code has been abused to spam search engines.

3. khaki

khaki

hi cammi.....

another way to redirect is to use javascript (but this method will not work for users who have javascript disabled).

<html>
    <head>
    <title></title>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    window.location="www.anything.com"
    -->
    </script>

</head>
    <body>
    <a href="www.anything.com">Redirect me</a>
    </body>
    </html>

you could always use Randy's META tag solution and this javascript solution together....
    and you'll stand a better chance :)

and just to be safe....
    include a link on your page (as shown above) that the user can click to redirect themselves (in case the other methods fail... for whatever reason)

:) k

4. moebius

moebius

if youre using ASP, try response.redirect(url as String) for vbscript

i would not recommend a client side redirect, since most ad-blockers are able to stop this.

5. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I think its the winow . location ("http:\\www.yourURL.com") without the spaces in between.

Keep this in the body tag in the onLoad event.

6. jelleym

jelleym

Sorry if I'm reviving this thread belatedly, but I can't find the answer to this:

A few years back, I decided to use Tripod free hosting, because it was recommended on Draac. At the time, I found it satisfactory, but subsequently, they've been degenerating from bad to worser to evil - insofar as, not only banners, but then tailers, popups, and now, AARGH! a sidebar framed on the left - coupled with the tailer now superimposing on the site's content itself! Seems like a ploy to deliberately chase away their free clients.

My site gets alot of visitors (45,000 since Feb 2002) but I'm positive they get turned off by that intrusive barrage.

Thing is, I want to keep the present site and wording as is (due to both the keywords, as well as some free tools which are intertwined with the site's URL). But, even disregarding the popup issue, the site's content also requires editing & updating, which might as well display in a newer, more-concise site.

So all I'm wondering, is:

(1) whether there's any tool which would allow me to prominently display a message to visitors, advising them to click for "ad-free update of this site", yet simultaneously keep within Tripod's and search engines' rules, to avoid the risk of deletion.

(2) why search engines never had a policy of offering people a password for their indexed sites, so that people could thereby easily switch to new hosts without forfeiting their status on the indexed queue. Doesn't this cause amateurs to sorta remain prisoners of so-called benign hosts who turn malignant?

Just as an aside, the site isn't a frivolous one. If it were, I wouldn't be as frustrated.

7. aolsux

aolsux Banned

use this script (requries JavaScript):
    <!-- TWO STEPS TO INSTALL TIMED REDIRECT:

1. Copy the coding into the HEAD of your HTML document
    2. Add the onLoad event handler into the BODY tag -->

<!-- STEP ONE: Paste this code into the HEAD of your HTML document -->

<HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    <!-- Original: [email protected] -->
    <!-- Modified: Benjamin Wright, Editor -->

<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
    <!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->

<!-- Begin
    redirTime = "0";
    redirURL = "http://javascript.internet.com/new";
    function redirTimer() { self.setTimeout("self.location.href = redirURL;",redirTime); }
    // End -->
    </script>

<!-- STEP TWO: Insert the onLoad event handler into your BODY tag -->

<BODY onLoad="redirTimer()">

<p><center>
    <font face="arial, helvetica" size"-2">Free JavaScripts provided<br>
    by <a href="http://javascriptsource.com">The JavaScript Source</a></font>
    </center><p>

<!-- Script Size: 0.88 KB -->

edit redirURL to the url you want it to redirect the user to when they view it, then upload it to your main directory for the domain as index.html/index.php, etc

8. Big-K

Big-K

Next time make a new thread for your question. Alright, first off, did you build your site and upload to tripod, or use their free sitebuilder? If you built it yourself, then it should be easy. All you gotta do is get another host, such as www.150m.com, and put your site there. Delete the site on tripod, and make a page that says "THIS SITE HAS BEEN RELOCATED TO http://yoururl.com/", that way people still go to your site, but you dont have to deal with tripod. Same prob for me, except mine was built with sitebuilder. What i had to do was, since i had recently learned html, write a whole new site to upload somewhere else.

EDIT: just noticed something, If you have a sitebuilder made site, go to view/source. After the ad codes is the basic code to your site. Of course, tripod added lots of other **** but yeah. Good enough. Hope that helped.

BTW, whats the site?

9. jelleym

jelleym

Big-K, y'know you're right - I think I will open a new thread for this issue, so maybe you can respond on there. Here's the link:
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=1609921#post1609921

Meanwhile, to answer your Q:

I use Arachnophilia vs. anyones' lumbering site builders.

But my question is, if I follow your example, what about the keywords etc?

As for the site, it's health related - you'd probably find it boring. Also it's a big mess & requires updating badly, and Tripod's "trigger fingers" certainly hasn't improve matters!

Do you think you can offer a practical solution for this particular complex case? If so, maybe I can PM you since a picture is worth 1000.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice