1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you remove all traces of a program install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kaaos, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

i downloaded a trial program that expired now i want it off my machine including and most importantly my registry. what can i use to remove? i used the unistal.exe but there are still files there. can i just delete the folders then delete the entries in my registry?

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

If there are still files in your account's Application Data folder or the Programs folder, you can delete them. I would leave the registry entries alone as it does not hurt to have too many and a couple extra do not take up much hard drive space.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

The left over Registry entries will probably be found by a good Registry cleaner. Just be careful and "eye-ball" what the cleaner suggests are unnecessary. "EasyCleaner" is one that is frequently cited as "light." Only delete the entries preceded by a green marker, however.

There are other modes within "EC," too. Don't use "Duplicates" at all, since some dups are required by the system. "Unnecessary" may be used, but check only the first 3 or 4 items to be cleaned. A list will be provided, but no special guidance.

{redoak}

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

Back-up your registry before you do anything to it.

5. Lance1

Lance1

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

But it sure costs a lot and I'm not sure how much different it is from the Windows default uninstall program.

7. 1101doc

1101doc

When I need the biggest hammer I use jv16 PowerTools :http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html After the first Registry page loads the "Tools" at the top contains the Reg. cleaner and finder. In the finder type in the key words and go.
    CAUTION: jv16 is a very powerful tool and will let you delete anything from your Registy.! Use with care and respect and always manually review each item before taking action. When in doubt, don't! File tool on first interface is a very quick and thorough search. Also includes an uninstaller.

8. bernardus

bernardus

Regseeker is a more advanced tool to trace all program entries in the register and give you the possibillity to backup the removed entries. Another option is to use a restore point which you should make before every install. If you want 100% security make a backup before you start to install a new program.

bernardus

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/530246