1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do You Repair a CRC Error?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wet Chicken, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to repair a CRC error on a hard drive? I have tried everything that I can think of but nothing seems to work. I think it is caused by bad clusters (which I can't seem to get rid of). I am trying to make the C: drive larger, but the CRC error keeps me from accomplishing this. Here is a list of what I have tried so far;

• Norton Disk Doctor (6 hour scan).
    • Format the hard drive.
    • Partition Magics error repair.
    • Scan disk (thorough).
    • Lots of prayer ;)

2. moebius

moebius

ur hard disk is gone :(

3. yul

yul

..........history

4. beefy

beefy

5. Wet Chicken

This is not necessarily true. Just because it is giving an error does not mean that the chip is bad. We ran several HDD test and it passed them all. It probably just needs a firmware update. Not a problem since it has a 5 year warranty ;)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's probably not the chip, it's the media. Use the 5 year warranty. :)

7. pc_rej_pc

pc_rej_pc

Since HDD passed test, assuming that the test is 100% reliable then problem could most likely be one of your other ide drives such as dvd, cdrw, cdrom, tape/zip drives, etc. Try to look for firmware updates for your ide devices.

8. Wet Chicken

IBM (Hitachi) has some really nice new HDD software on their web site. One of them (called Hard Drive Fitness Test) test everything possible on the hard drive. It also allows you to turn on/off certain features inside of the hard drive itself.

When I used it last night it confirmed that there was a bad cluster, but for some reason it can't (or won't) repair it. I suspect that you are right about the media, and so I am going to send it to them. I was really impressed by the way they had their warranty system set up, and that it was for 5 years, which in computer years is around 50 years :D

All you have to do is to enter in your Serial Number, and it will tell you how much longer your warranty is good for, and where to send the drive to get repaired. However they are very picky about how you ship the drive to them, which I can understand. As soon as I can find the right kind of foam to use as packing material I will send it to them for repair. They only allow you ONE chance to ship it to them correctly. If you ship it to them in the wrong manner they will void your warranty.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can choose the express delivery, give them a credit card number and they will ship the new drive to you, and you have 30 days to return the old drive in the box that the new drive came in and if you don't they bill you an outrageous amount for the hard drive :D

At least I think they should have that option.....I know Maxtor does :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice