1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you run a program on another computer over the network. (Windows)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sharker, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Jan 29, 2003

I'm not knowlegable about networks but I write programs that take a long time to run. Is it possible to use one computer on a windows the network, then from that computer, start a program running on another computer? Then turn your computer off and leave the program still running? Rather like the "at" command in UNIX.

Does Windows allow you to run a program in only the system idle time so it dosn't slow you up in other things your doing? Rather like the NICE +19 command in UNIX.

It would be helpfull if you could give me some into on this.

The network has windows xp prof and win 95.
  2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    There are a number of ways to skin this cat.

You could use a remote console application like UltraVNC and fire it off just like you were sitting there.

You could find one of the many Remote Execution Utility applications that exist.

For NT based Windows versions: Remote Command Service: (Rcmd.exe & Rcmdsvc.exe) - The Remote Command Service (Rcmd.exe) provides a secure, robust way to remotely administer and run command-line programs. (RCMDSRV also included.)

Finally, here's a huge list of Remote control applications from www.download.com
  3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Apr 10, 2000
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/231209