1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you set IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ralph888, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ralph888

ralph888 Thread Starter

I have a home network. I have two computers.
    One is running XP Home edition,and the other
    is Vista Home Premium. I have DSL. My router
    is Linksys. How do you make both computers
    have the same IP address? Thank You

2. cssmrsmith

cssmrsmith

You cannot set both computers to have the same IP address unless you do it manually, then when you had done that you'd get networking errors as evcery IP address on the network needs to be unique.

What are you trying to achieve? is it that you want both computers to connect onto your internet connection?? Please explain further.

3. ralph888

ralph888 Thread Starter

I would like both computers to connect to my internet connection.

4. cssmrsmith

cssmrsmith

You will need to get your Linksys manual out and check what the admin login to it is probably 192.168.1.1, log onto the router using with an ethernet cable plugged into one of its four ethernet ports directly from one of your PC's.
    From Internet Explorer type http://192.168.1.1 and the router administration page will pop up. If the password has not been changed the user name and password will both be admin, this should log you into the router where you can check to see if DHCP has been enabled. I believe on the Linksys router this is enabled by default.

Then check on both of your PC's through the Network Connection box in control panel that they are both set to be assigned an IP address automatically. To do this right click on your connection then from the new window that pops up click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and then the properties button the radio button should be checked against Obtain an IP Address automatically.

If this is already done you should be able to connect off either PC onto the internet, setting up wirelessly is slightly different, post back if you need more help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice