1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you spot a failing Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tylerhach, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

My computer has been stalling for about a second or 2 then going back to working, this happens in intervals of about 3-25 seconds depending if its having a good or bad day or if i run heavier programs. it has been doing this since about mid June. At first i thought it was a virus, so i reformatted, and it didn't fix it.

My thoughts are its my motherboard. I've been able to keep it alive for quite a while by switching cords and unplugging and replugging in things like ram, hard drive and the cd drive, but now it seems to be at its end...

Has anyone ever experienced a failing motherboard, and did you have symptoms similar to mine? Or am i completely wrong and someone knows exactly what the problem is?

Here are my specs:

•Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08 GHz

•Ram: 1 GB

•Video Card: 7600 gforce xfx

•Motherboard: ASUS nforce2 Ultra 400 A7N8X-E Deluxe

•Hard Drive: 120 gig

•Power Supply: 420 watts

•Sound Card: Sound blaster Live! 5.1 Digital

2. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is more likely a dying hard drive first or incompatible or corrupted ram second.

4. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

eh, how do you know this? have you ever experienced it? and how would i be able to test these things?

5. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

the computer makes somewhat of a "beep" noise fallowed by about 3 "clicking" noises when it stalls, its hard to tell where the noise comes from.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can download test software from each hard drive mfgr depending on whose yours is, but I don't have a lot of faith in them, I have seen this too often to doubt the issue, Ram you can test with a download of memtest86 at www.memtest.org. It makes a boot floppy that you will then boot to and run at least 4 complete tests which can take 3-4 hours.

7. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

my computer is too laggy to really get much accomplished on... every other second it lags makes everything go x30 as slow

8. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

9. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

memtest86 will run from a bootable CDROM and not in your windows environment, so get the image, create the CD, boot from CD and run the tests as it has been suggested.

you may download a linux live CD (any distro will do) and check if the same behaviour occurs as in windows. then you'll know wether the failures are soft or hardware related.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/610784