1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you tell if a user "had" Admin rights?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by WelshRogue, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WelshRogue

WelshRogue Thread Starter

Hopefully a simple question for some. I have a user who currently does NOT have Admin rights, but I need to find out if they had admin rights in the passed. I.E Someone gave them the rights to do something and then removed them.

Basically we are having difficulty getting some software to work without Admin Rights to do the initial install, but i've been told its possible to install the software without Admin Rights but I can't see it. They tried to prove that they did it on one users machine ( who is working fine) but i'm convinced they must have given them Admin rights to do the install and then possibly removed them after.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If the program was installed to Program Files folder, then you must have had admin rights to do so. Because that folder is not modifiable without the right.

There should be events logged in Event Viewer when the user was elevated to admin status.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice