How do you turn off XP Auto-Defrag?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Roozer

Hello!

I just recently built a PVR computer(Personal Video Recorder) which records about 30 video files a week. (3 - 8 GB / piece)

It's all working fine, but I've run into a rather strange problem with Windows. I'm using XP Home (I could change this to Pro if needs be), and I've found that Windows automatically defragments the hard drives every once in a while which really kind of throws a wrench into the works. (It slows the hard drive access WAY down.) Since these video files are coming in over a period of two hours, the files usually end up pretty fragmented. So, I guessing Windows just decides to start defraging them. Do you know of any way to turn off this "feature"? I've only just begun to search the registry and haven't found a thing yet.

Thanks!

Ben

Roozer said:
Hello!

I just recently built a PVR computer(Personal Video Recorder) which records about 30 video files a week. (3 - 8 GB / piece)

It's all working fine, but I've run into a rather strange problem with Windows. I'm using XP Home (I could change this to Pro if needs be), and I've found that Windows automatically defragments the hard drives every once in a while which really kind of throws a wrench into the works. (It slows the hard drive access WAY down.) Since these video files are coming in over a period of two hours, the files usually end up pretty fragmented. So, I guessing Windows just decides to start defraging them. Do you know of any way to turn off this "feature"? I've only just begun to search the registry and haven't found a thing yet.

Thanks!

Ben

Welcome to the forums

I wonder if somehow the defrag starts due to the task scheduler. Have you checked that yet? It would be a starting point...doc

Roozer

Sorry it took me so long to reply. (If you happen to read this)

No, it's not a scheduled task. I just can't figure it out... There doesn't appear to be any service which monitors hard drive fragmentation. I've spent about an hour now searching the web and can't find any thing about it, and yet, I'm about 100% sure the defrager is starting automatically.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ben

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online