1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do you unpartition your harddrive without formating? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DDZZ007, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

I just got a computer, it is celeron 466MHZ, 64MB ram, and it has a 6.4GB hard drive. It works like a charm, but I just recently encountered a problem. The guy who set it up partitioned the hard drive into 1GB C, 2.5GB D, and 2.5GB E. IF he had did them all 2GB it would of saved me a lot of time, but he made the C drive only 1 GB, and no matter what I install on the comp., even if I choose a different drive, it still requires some space on C. I'm completely out of space on C as of now.

So what I want to do is to unpartition the drives, to make them all one again. I have no idea how this can be accomplished without formating the hard drive, and I can't afford to lose the information on the hard drive. So can someone please tell me how this can be done? PLEASE!!!! I'm desperate!!!!

2. deuce

deuce

Well, with multiple partitions you are gaining more space because you use smaller clusters, but I imagine at 6.4 GB it isn't making terrible of a difference. To partition a formatted drive you need Partition Magic. Current version I think is PM7... runs at about $35 methinks... or maybe it's 50, I'm not sure.

3. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

thanks for the help. I went online and saw Partition Magic 7.0 selling for $40 bucks, but PM4.0 is only $10, is there any difference between the two? would my computer be able to use either one?

4. deuce

deuce

For a 6.4 GB HD... PM4 should work. The biggest differences between each version is the size disk they support... although, PM8 which just came out says it only supports I think upto 80GB and people have used it ok with 100 and 120. Check the specs on PM3 if you can. If PM3 is still available you might even be able to use that one, which is probably only a few $$.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice