1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you upgrade BIOS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 2odd, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2odd

2odd Thread Starter

My computer crashes randomly and when I send an error report, it says consider a BIOS upgrade. If possible, I do not want to pay money. I am looking to download the update and install it myself.

Here is my BIOS

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your BIOS Report Results
    BIOS TYPE: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS ID: 03/12/2005-SiS-661-6A7I4FK9C
    OEM Sign-On: snc302eeh - 661MXPro BIOS v1.0 (031205)
    BIOS Date: 03/12/05
    BIOS Type: Award
    Chipset: SiS 661 rev 17
    Super I/O: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
    BIOS ROM Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 512K
    Memory Installed: 1280 MB
    Memory Max: 4096 MB
    CPU: Intel Genuine Processor 2933 Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I already checked phoenix bios homepage, and for updates they refer you to some site that charges money.

Any other suggestions?

2. rodeognome

rodeognome

could you post a copy of the error code results - you got sent back?

3. 2odd

2odd Thread Starter

I dont have the error report on my screen anymore so I'm not sure what the error code is

4. norton850

norton850

Bios updates are almost always free, but I wouldn't do anything until you get the error again and post it here.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

To update the BIOS . . go to the motherboard manufacturers website and download the latest BIOS . . there will be instruction on the website . . they are all free. .

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

But first see post #4.

7. 2odd

2odd Thread Starter

Ok here is the website I found with my updates:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/service/downloads.aspx?Model=661MX&DownID=en-us0000003

What I want to know, is do I have to update my bios with every one of these? Or do I just need to update with the newest one?

Also I'm not sure what number to put in the "Selected Series" box in the upper left, Does this matter?

And lastly, I do not have a floppy drive :O, any other way I can install these updates?

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The latest usually includes all updates from previous versions.

9. moozer

moozer

Why do you need a BIOS upgrade - it's only 15 months old isn't it? Plus I think that's the latest Award version (correct me if I'm wrong)

Usually a BIOS upgrade is only necessary with really old boards (over 3 years old) - there's never much enhancement - if any at all (IMO)

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I am with Moozer here, unless we knew the error message, it would be too risky to do a BIOS upgrade on just a hunch.

You need to realise that if a BIOS upgrade fails (and unfortunately a few % do) it often means the economic end of life for the motherboard. Unless you know exactly what the problem is, and that there has been a BIOS update that specifically corrects it, there is no reason to update the BIOS.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

The age of the board is really not a factor. For instance, boards using the Intel 945G chipset have had 40 BIOS updates since the original BIOS date of May 9, 2005.

The bottom line is that if a BIOS update does not correct a specific problem you are encountering, then there is no reason to update the BIOS.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice