1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"how do you want to open this file" after boot. Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by strand-holm, Jan 14, 2019 at 4:33 AM.

Advertisement
  1. strand-holm

strand-holm Thread Starter

This is quite an annoyance.
    I run Windows 10 Pro on my Lenovo Labtop T520, since december 2016.
    Now previously the "how do you want to open this file" annoyance keeps popping up after boot. It does not pop up instantly after boot, sometimes it takes a few minutes before it pops up out of nowhere. No application or program has been (except what maybe initiated from the startup folder).
    Sometimes it comes after I launch Google Chrome.
    I have looked for solutions on the internet, but nothing so far seems relevant in my case. I really don't know what to look for. It just pops up, and I am accessing no file, that should initiate the feature.
    PS. I am used to crack computer problems on my own, but this time I need some help :)
    Thanks - Anders

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Right-click on the Taskbar, choose Task Manager, and then click on the Startup tab. Check to see if there's anything there you don't recognise, since it may be some orphaned process from an application which wasn't removed correctly or even a malware process. With respect to the latter, sometimes anti-malware solutions will "kill" the malware but leave vestiges in the Startup process.

3. strand-holm

Hello lochlomonder,
    Thanks for coming back to me. I did enter the startup menu following a prior advice found in a forum on the Internet. However, I never got to follow up on that. So, I just did that and I see two applications, I do not know, really:
    1. fmapp.exe
    2. RCIMGDIR.exe
    They might be alright but I wonder about the fmapp.exe - details shows the language is Chineese (?)
    I do attach screenshots.
    Do you have any idea if any of the appd in my startup tap could cause the annoying popup :"how do you want to open this file" ?
    //Anders

Attached Files:

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Strand-holm,

From what I've seen, fmapp.exe is installed with the Realtek audio driver, and rcimgdir.exe pertains to the integrated camera. Neither of these two seems to be a nuisance.

If you're familiar with Event Viewer, I would recommend running that after you've rebooted the machine, go to Windows Logs and then System. See if there are any messages pertaining to an application not running properly. I know sometimes it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but it may yield some fruitful information.

5. strand-holm

I could only find this entry in the System tab. The rest is info entries:
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
    and APPID
    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
    to the user bruger-THINK\Anders SID (S-1-5-21-1659940868-2597953336-3949673301-1003) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I found a yellow triangle entry saying:
    Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
    Network link is disconnected.

Thats it - the rest is just info bubbles...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice