1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"How do you want to open this file?" (annoying popup)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SamMoss1948, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SamMoss1948

SamMoss1948 Thread Starter

Each time I restart the PC the "How do you........" pops up no matter what I am doing...even on a plain vanilla desktop....but most of the time after I've opened, let's say a browser....but anytime really that on a restart.

Any one have any ideas on how to go about toggling this off or what may be the cause of this action? I've 'refreshed' W10 several times over the last few months and what ever is causing it is internal.

I know a complete new install may do the trick .... yet would rather resolve the issue rather than the 'nuke' it method.

I'm all ears to any suggestions that don't include a whole new install of the OS.

2. RT

RT

Totally understand why you want to avoid the "nuke" method!
    Can you post a screen shot of your error msg?

Frankly, I don't get why opening your browser would give you that dialog, as it usually refers to a file with an extension that requires an App or program to to access, and can be program specific.

3. strand-holm

strand-holm

Hello SamMoss 1948
    I an experiencing the very same problem with the exact same behavior. So xxxxx annoying!
    It makes no sense - just an annoying popup...
    I am working with lochlomoder to find a solution.
    Anders

4. SamMoss1948

Well I had to bite the bullet and just do a 'fresh install' of Windows 10....my updates became compromised and W10 somehow became 'confused' I had some sort of Godzilla build because I elected to go with the 'Semi-Annual Channel' with 360 day delay and all sorts of updates were put in then uninstalled it just became a mess.
    My W10 was an update from W7 back in July/August of 2015....doing a fresh install trimmed 6 GB of from my OS drive and it got rid of that darn "How do you want to open this file?" pop-up.

5. strand-holm

strand-holm

Thanks for letting me know SamMoss1948.
    I upgraded from Win 7 in 2016. never had a problem until recently.
    I can't figure out what caused this issue...
    Anyway a fresh install is too time consuming at the moment.
    The best,
    Anders

6. SamMoss1948

I didn't want to either for all sorts of reasons...I'm a big gamer and had scads of games I didn't feel like downloading again. Ever since 2015 when I upgraded I had around 25-30 GB in a dedicated drive for the OS when I did a fresh install the total amount of OS data dropped to 19 GB...it really did stream line the operation. I put doing it off for better than 6 months then decided what the heck let's see how it'll turn out. Luckily I placed my games on other hard drives so it wasn't as bad as I first suspected doing a 'fresh install'....I tried all sorts of 'in place' fixes using the .ISO but it did nothing to stop those pop-ups.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice