1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do you "wipe" the hard drive clean and start over?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LKDahlen, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LKDahlen

LKDahlen Thread Starter

My hardrive is really messed up and the last time this happened I paid someone to wipe the hard drive clean. Can someone tell me how to do this myself? Do I need anything? I don't even have a Win98 disk! Thanks in advance! ~Laura

2. Philcarrie

Philcarrie

you need a copy of win98, a boot up disk which you can make in start-settings-add/remove programs and a bit of patience.

3. LKDahlen

LKDahlen Thread Starter

Can you tell me where to get Win98 cheaply?

4. pronute

pronute

Make a startup disk, put the floppy disk you just made in the floppy drive, reboot the computer, on the menu that comes up select start computer without CD ROM support, after the tools are loaded and your at the A prompt type C: then press the enter key, at the C prompt type format c: when the message comes up "are you sure to format fixed disk" or something like that type Y and press enter. The hard drive will scan a bit then ask for a label press enter for no label (don't need it) then it will start formatting it will take from 20-120 minutes to finish depending on the capacity of the hard drive and the speed of your PC.

5. LKDahlen

LKDahlen Thread Starter

Wow! I'm having trouble making the startup disk though. It keeps telling me to insert the Win98 CD, which I don't have. ???

6. Philcarrie

Philcarrie

any second-hand pc shop, it's dirt cheap now, but don't format your drive until you have a copy, or your pc will just sit there acting as a dust collector.

7. Philcarrie

Philcarrie

do you have a folder c:\windows\option\cab ?? if so, point the prompt to that folder- it contains all the win98 cab files needed to make the disk

8. pronute

pronute

That should have come with your system. if your ystem is a HP or Compaq it's on the restore disk, and in that case boot the computer to the restore disk and select the reinstall option and it will do everything automaticaly no need to format first with the restore disk.

9. LKDahlen

LKDahlen Thread Starter

(deleted this text because I didn't read the most recent replies before I wrote it)

10. Philcarrie

Philcarrie

yes, that will do..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice