How does ICS affect speeds?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thecaravanman

Hi,

I just set up internet connection sharing between 2 laptops. The host is downloading non-stop all day, all night. The client is used some of the time for browsing the net and emails.

What I'm asking is how does ICS affect my connection. I have 512 kbps dsl (runs at about 576 nearly all the time though :p ) and does ICS split it in half or what?

I woul prefer that the host has 100% of the bandwith when the other computer is connected, but not being used. When the other computer is being used then can I set how much bandwith it will get?

Also how secure is gotomypc? i want to connect to the host laptop when im at home to start new downloads etc.

Thanks,
Matt

Well in terms of getting split in half i would say only if the other computer was downloading just as much ....just becuase u have another pc on your dsl does not cut it in half only matters how much that is used on the net. Go to my PC i have found pretty secure but i have not had people test it exactly...i think it runs threw port 80 so you dont have leave another port open. I would actually like to hear someones input on gotomypc as i am still intrested about it too.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think you can be as happy with a free solution, no real reason to pay the folks at GotomyPC $10/mo. :) You can use something like UltraVNC for remote control, or XP's remote console capability. As for dynamic IP addresses, a service like www.dyndns.com will allow you to always find your IP at home.

scutch2222 said:
... Go to my PC i have found pretty secure but i have not had people test it exactly...i think it runs threw port 80 so you dont have leave another port open. I would actually like to hear someones input on gotomypc as i am still intrested about it too.
I tried the free trial on gotomypc and it was fine.
But I find UltraVNC is fine for my needs -- and as it's free it won! I tunnel VNC through SSH so I'm happy that it's secure (certainly better than running VNC in the open). All using the http://www.dyndns.org/ service.

thecaravanman

Hi,

before i read this I have installed WinVNC so thaT'S OK.
What I have noticed now is that speeds on the second computer are incredibly slow. In fact it will take ages for anything to load. It was running ok this morning with a full download going on the host pc.

I stopped all downloads and things on the first pc it was still as slow.

Any ideas?

thanksm
matt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online