1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How does Intel Core 2 Duo work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pntbllrspdr, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pntbllrspdr

pntbllrspdr Thread Starter

We might be getting a new computer, and I was wondering how an Intel Core 2 Duo processor works. The only thing I'm slightly sure of is that it's not like a regular processer that pretty much only says what speed it is. A little clarification would be great

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

What kind of Core 2 Duo, specifically what do you mean how does it work, are you saying that you want to test the speed?

3. pntbllrspdr

Pretty much. The one that come with the computer we might get is Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500. Now, the processor we have already is 2.4GHz. I want to know how fast the Cure 2 Duo one would run

4. dannyn

dannyn

heres my two cents:
    the processor wouldn't be any faster... the advantage that you would get is you have two cores... this meaning that if you are running something then running something else will run just as fast as if the first app wasn't running... thats just my personal experience.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats not necessarily true, likely not true at all. An Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 running at 2.4Ghz is quite a bit faster then a Pentium 4 or Celeron running at 2.4Ghz, or an AMD Athlon XP, Athlon 64, or in some cases even the Athlon 64 X2 processor running at 2.4Ghz. Its not just about a second core, the architecture of these processors is more efficient. Just look at some benchmarks: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=882&model2=912&chart=426 Thats a slower E4300 running at 1.8Ghz easily outperforming an older Pentium 4 running at 2.8Ghz, depending on what you use the computer it might be anywhere from a little bit faster to significantly faster.

6. pntbllrspdr

So in general, it would at least match the performance of a Pentium 4 running at 2.4GHz? I plan on mostly using it for stuff like music, web surfing, instantmessaging, stuff like that. I'll also play some games on it

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It will easily outperform an Intel Pentium 2.4Ghz processor, it'd be hard to notice while web surfing and IM'ing, but in games it'll be noticeable as long as you get a good video card to go with it.

8. pntbllrspdr

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. pntbllrspdr

it says its clock speed is 2.2Ghz, but then it throws some front side bus stuff in there to comfuse me

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Right, the E4500 does run at 2.2Ghz, but its still faster then your current Pentium 4 2.4Ghz.
    The Front Side bus is the connection between the processor and the rest of the system. The E4500 has an 800Mhz FSB. The Pentium 4 2.4Ghz came in three versions, 400, 533, and 800Mhz FSB versions, they also used different cores and had different cache sizes, 512KB or 1MB while the E4500 has a 2MB L2 cache.

12. dannyn

dannyn

the clock speed isn't everything. the clock speed may be less than you processor before but the dual core thing will make it run faster.

13. Bowsa

Bowsa

lol i like the quad core

14. Cildaten

Cildaten

I prefer the octo core myself.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Depending on what games you plan to play, any computer you purchase will be seriously overpowered for the basic operations listed. Most people have no need for a new computer when a clean install of Windows would breathe new life into an old system.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice