1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How does one know if a video card is right

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Boothbay, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Account Closed Thread Starter

I have an old 8 year old ABS desktop that came with one AGP SLOT. I would like to replace the card that came with it...GeForce FX 5200 with a much better card. I see where prices have come down on these cards cause later pc's use pc express. There is a AGP card ATI P49P4685 Radeon 7000 64MB being sold for $25. Now the 64MB makes me hesitant cause the old one that i have says something that i have 120 MB...and so i dont know if that makes a difference. Also, i heard that one had to go by the power that one system has...or one can ruin the pc and etc. I don't know what my power supply rate is. I checked with the Bios and it tells you nothing. I hate to have to take the desktop apart to check if there is some tag on the p s...is there any other way? Does anyone know if this is a good replacement? I am open for other suggestions around that price range though.. LOL

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    A 4x/8x AGP video card that has 128 MB of memory is just fine for Windows XP. (y)

You didn't advise why you want to upgrade to a "much better video card", but I suspect it's to improve gaming and video quality in your computer.

If the current power supply can't handle the load of a more powerful video card, and if the computer is bottlenecked by a slow processor and limited RAM, you're going to be disappointed and have problems.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Radeon 7000 is an older, less powerful card, and has less features then the FX5200 you currently have,

Why the intention to upgrade the graphics card?

The only way to check the wattage and model of the power supply is to open up the computer and check the label, unless you have it written on the invoice from the computer purchase but then you still want to confirm it hasn't been changed since then.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Besides what Triple6 said, you'll be better off sticking with a NVIDIA GeForce video card instead of switching to an ATI Radeon video card if that old desktop has an Intel motherboard and Intel chipset.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. Boothbay

Boothbay Account Closed Thread Starter

OK, you all talked me into staying as is. LOL No i am not into games, just thought better video after 8 years. I have Asus Motherboard...F W I W.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're not a gamer and the current video card has been working fine for what you use that computer for, there's no compelling reason to upgrade to a more powerful one and risk having hardware issues.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice