1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how does one REALLY delete a program? win95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by takatomon1, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takatomon1

takatomon1 Thread Starter

i've tried and tried to delete programs to free up disk space and keep getting nowhere. if i delete it on my desktop, i find it in my start box. if i delete it in the find folders area, i can't get the main folder to delete. eg. i can't get netscape navigator out of my system. i only have 268 megs left on my hard drive. i had 271 megs before i deleted cosmi photo editor (don't buy it people it stinks and doesn't work at all!) but after i deleted it... i only had 268 megs! that makes no sense at all! deleting a program should increase drive space not decrease it! inside my find folders area i have a bunch of folders that windows won't let me delete yet contain no data. my trash bin is totally empty too. i don't get it. what is windows point in giving you delete options if they don't work?:confused:

2. Martyhfl

Martyhfl

First thing you should do is empty your recycle bin. Second, instead of deleteing your programs, go into the controll panel and us the add/remove program option and remove them that way. You also could have a virus, how up to date is you virus software????

3. RandyG

RandyG

Have you tried to unintsall these programs, or only delete them?
    Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs

If you have gone on a random delete foray, then you have left all sorts of tags and what not left in your registry, which tells windows how to run.

If you have not used the Add\Remove Programs choice, you might have to do a Format to clean up your system, and reinstall Windows and the rest of your applications.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice